View Single Post
Old 12-02-06, 10:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo
Hi robski

If an Intel CPU is faster on graphics, then I suggest that it is so marginal in normal computer use as to be insignificant.

nirofo.
I think you miss my point nirofo, I am not saying that intel is generally better at graphics than AMD. Nor I am I trying to slag off AMD. I am using an AMD myself at home.

The point I am trying to make is that there are hardware differences between the 2 processors otherwise AMD and Intel would in court everyday slaging it out over copyright issues. These differences will mean that each instruction will take a different number of steps to achive the same thing. If you look at the core design in each case they use different methods of instruction and data cachcing, pipelining and a different sequence of low level instruction to perform some of the higher level functions. In all it will be swings and round abouts when things average out. It maybe that NC is making a function call that is much more efficient on one processor than the other.

Considering that Nikon is not a Software company there expertise will not be in producing efficient and optimised code. My belief is that this program has not been optimised for speed. Which is a point I made earlier. We can only come to this understanding by discounting other factors as we have been slowing doing by getting Stephen to do various tests. The only thing outstanding is that we have not had it confirmed that it also runs slow on an Intel.

My background is electronic, I started in analogue with radio and my introduction into digital was learning how to machine code program a Z80 8 bit processor back in the 80's. I then did some assembly, basic, pascal and C programming. Recently I have done some java programming for a project at work. I also have to get my head around the compliler's operation, C++ and multithread programming when trying to find a bug in our software to a level where the programmer has a pretty good idea which block of code to look at.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 12-02-06 at 10:41.