View Single Post
Old 17-07-07, 09:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by john crossley View Post
Why is it that when people ask for critiques on photos they post in the galleries they get the hump when the comment is anything other than "Good Shot"
I agree, John. In fact, chances are that if I've uploaded something to the gallery I already know (or at least fondly believe) that it's a "good shot" ... and if we are going to get right down to the bald truth here, I think I'm a better judge of what makes a "good shot" than most (but not all) others here - with the proviso that we are talking about my specialty, bird photography. Chances are, if I took it and I think it's a "good shot" then it's a bird!

I imagine that most of us, each within our own particular fields, are similar.

But that doesn't mean we can't nevertheless learn from one another! Saying "good shot" achieves little. Saying why you think it's a "good shot" achieves a bit more, especially if it's not the commonplace and obvious "great feather detail" or "golly, what a big bill!" but instead something more thoughtful and individual. Even more so, criticism can be very instructive. Again, saying "I don't like this shot" isn't much help, but "I don't like the cluttered background" (for example) could be useful. And so on.

Anyway, I'll read and ponder any comments, especially critical ones, carefully. I may or may not end up agreeing with them, but I will at least consider them, and promise not to throw my toys out of the pram. Much.