View Single Post
Old 21-07-07, 13:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftysnapper View Post
Mmmm as to being a better judge of a bird photograph that would depend if you were looking at it as a natural history image or a pictorial image..a good natural history shot can be very boring
That is an excellent point. Some of my favourite shots are of rare and interesting fungi. But they send most people to sleep. But get a bee on a thistle, and you'll have them clapping in the aisles.

Tastes change too. Some people like to isolate a subject against a smooth background. But others find it artificial, and out of context. Some while back there was a craze for showing movement in a photograph in the form of blurring. Some would just find it blurry. It is not uncommon for the winner of a major natural history photo competitions to do nothing for me. In part judges will look for originality, and have probably seem look-a-likes of most images many times before.

I don't usually like giving critical feedback as I do not know what the other person wanted to achieve. But if someone says "Does this work" or "Can this be improved" I might post a comment.

I noticed many years ago when I read photo magazines, that photo journalists were often very scathing about readers pictures. And yet when a real photographer was asked to comment, they were usually complimentary, or made positive comments about improving the image. My take on that is that a working photographer knows how hard it is to get a good image, and has no reason to put down someone else.

Anyway, I agree with John's original posting. (What a lot of words just to get to that conclusion ... )