Thread: AMD or Intel
View Single Post
Old 05-04-06, 23:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fox
Essentially I am looking for a machine that can efficiently process 12Mpx RAW images. Currently I use AMD 2600+ 1GB RAM and 64M graphic card and Nikon capture for RAW conversion. After looking at other RAW converters NC is in my opinion the best for Nikon users. 6Mpx files from D70 are converted easily but the machine struggles with 12Mpx. After receiving great information from another thread on the subject I realise the CPU is a major bottleneck as sits at 100% during the long conversion process. I'll consider anything including MAC to make conversion a joy rather than a pain.

Hi Stephen

I'd wait until Nikon Capture NX becomes available (imminent) before I did anything radical with my computer set up. The computer setup you quote is more than adequate for handling a 12mpixel file. Capture NX is touted to be something worth waiting for, it's sure to be a cheaper option than a new PC/MAC system that will gain you very little realtime advantage for a large outlay of cash.

A trial version of Nikon Capture NX will be available for download shortly at the following web address.

http://www.nikonimaging.com/global/p...p/download.htm

nirofo.