Thread: Flash Diffusion
View Single Post
Old 21-10-06, 13:39

Arrow Shoot through verses reflective brolly technique

I spoilt myself yesterday and splashed out on a light stand and brolly. I am no expert in the field of brollies but this one allowed dual use and came recommended. A white inner allows shoot through when the outer reflective element is removed. I decided to test both ways what follows below are my findings.

Traditional Brolly (images 1&2)

Two flashes attached to a light stand and fired using remote camera cord. Light is bounced around the brolly and comes out diffused in all directions. Lots of light is lost and both flashes ate set to i-TTL +1 EV. Shadow is fairly heavy with two shadows near the tail most likely one from each flash. Colours and contrast are rich and good. Reflectors used in to bring some light back and soften shadows more. This method was fairy difficult to get close to the subject.

Shoot through (images 3&4)

Two flashes attached to light stand fired by the camera using a remote flash cord. Much light is lost as it spreads out from the curved diffuser. Due to the way light is spreading out it is possible to use other reflectors to bring some back and illuminate other parts of the subject. This method is less directional and more diffused creating softer shadow. Contrast seems slightly flat compared with images 1&2. Upper wing surface seems better light due to large lastolite reflector claiming wasted light back. Shoot through was easier to get close to the subject.

Conclusion
These two lighting techniques allow good diffused lighting with fairly soft shadows no harsh highlights. Colours and contrast are better using traditional method but shoot through creates softer shadows and more even lighting also permits use of other reflectors to illuminate parts of the subject that may be in shadow. It is difficult to get a brolly over a subject like the test whereas shot through was much easier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg traditionalbrolley.jpg (173.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg biplane50mmf20reflectorfinal.jpg (255.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg shootthroughbrolley.jpg (141.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg biplane50mmf20final.jpg (201.2 KB, 32 views)