Thread: Flash Diffusion
View Single Post
Old 20-12-05, 13:30

Default Flash diffusion 2

Posting this now as it may help Stephen as he is looking at possibly venturing into portrait photography.

To save scrolling back through past posts a reminder........

Quote:
Raw flash should be considered as a bright pin point of light. You can liken it to the sun on a bright day, as that is also a very bright point source of light that gives harsh shadows. When partialy obscured by cloud it is not so bright and any shadows are far softer. Totally overcast gives no shadows as there is no longer a key light, and light on a subject is coming from all around. All of this can be achieved with flash.
The primary consideration is trying to convert a point source of light into a far bigger light to simulate the above.

I am attatching another graphic to hopefully explain the affect on shadows.

The lower reference to studio flash and brollie is that this is something most will have seen and can relate to.
Studio flash units are used professionally as they have a number of advantages over small flash guns. ..... More power.......variable output...... faster recycling times.......modeling light facility to name a few things. Although a portable flash can be used with a brollie but because of lack of power the flash to subject distance is very limited. The downside of studio flash is that the camera cannot control exposure and it has to be done manually.

I found some good stuff by Steve Aves on the Warehouse Express site. A good read if you are interested.
Click the link and go - Photographic - Studio Lighting -
Lighting Glossary - Steve Aves article
Lighting Guides - Steve Aves article
Product Reviews - Steve Aves article
Bowens
Elinchrom
Interfit
Interfit Pro
Interfit Stellar
Lastolite

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/index.cfm

My graphic attatched

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flash diffusion.jpg (121.2 KB, 71 views)