View Single Post
Old 04-01-06, 21:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine
Don,many thanks for the detailed info.Yes,there is a house opposite us ,across the river,which has a red and white lifebelt hanging on the outer wall,so I can practise on that.I will have plenty of time to practise whilst I am waiting for the 100-400 lens to return from the repair people.I think I will still have time to fit a few birds in though!!!.
Again,Don,many thanks,your time and expertise is very much appreciated.
Christine,

Its well worth doing just to help your understanding. It will show what you personally can do hand held. I have read comments about how low a shutter speed has been used. I know my limitations and I'm not that steady. A bit like bins. I was doing a comparison test for someone on BF. I mounted them on tripods to get a direct comparison at various views. Got a field over the fence and a wood about 400 yards beyond. Dare I say it here ... a pair of Goshawks occasionally. Well the upside is I was amazed how much more detail I could see within the wood when tripod mounted, and these are 8x. Never underestimate support. If you hand hold go for the highest shutter speed you can.

Your tests will show that though.

Don