View Single Post
Old 14-01-06, 16:58

Not a satisfactory day.....

I now have a background for the still life flash photography I am enjoying so much and I have lots of subjects to photograph namely toys and ornaments that my Grandfather made prior to his retirement. These objects have huge sentimental value and I think its very important to photograph correctly to do justice to them and the person who made them.

Todays quest was the bi-plane made as a toy for me when I was three or four years of age. Considering it has survived nearly 30 years it is in good condition.

I am attempting to light the bi-plane as good as possible using a fluorescent strip above and two reading lights diffused through kitchen roll (see wide shot). Using bounce flash on-camera and a diffused slave I seem to have good lighting but a nasty shadow is present from the slave, noticeable on the port wing strut to the fuselage and from the port wheel. Whatever I do I could not reduce the shadow. Apart from this I am really happy with the shot.

Depth of field was tricky as space was tight and the subject therefore was close. Aperture priority was used at f13! to get near good depth requiring lots of flash output. Some light was available from a window so when the light failed I stopped for the day.

I took nearly forty exposures trying different things but none as good as below - Tomorrow I shall resume the quest for the perfect bi-plane shot and will post technique if better than todays effort.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg popsbiplane140106.jpg (255.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg biplanebehind.jpg (167.9 KB, 20 views)