View Single Post
Old 07-06-07, 16:29

Cool! Speed Dial is neat, isn't it.

One thing to watch out for: Opera is very customisable and out of the box it's rather different. If you are happy, that's great, but if you don't like something, it's quite likely that you can customise it. Some examples:

I find the default colour scheme pretty but a bit difficult: it's too hard, for example, to see the scroll bars on longer pages. TOOLS >> APPEARANCE >> WINDOWS NATIVE does the trick. (There are a zillion other skins you can download, most of them looking like a dog's breakfast, as user-provided skins so often do, but the boring, practical; "windows native" one suits most people just fine.)

I rarely use the fast forward and rewind buttons, nor the "new tab" one. Old-fashioned regular forward and back buttons, plus a stop/reload are all I need. Just right-click the button you don't want and select "remove from toolbar". (The less clutter, the better I like it.) Naturally, you can restore the missing ones, and add others too, if you change your mind.)

Opera defaults to starting up on the exact same pages you left it in last time. This is a neat feature (in fact there is a Firefox plug-in that mimics it), but I prefer to just start with a home page. TOOLS >> PREFERENCES >> pick whichever of five options you prefer.

Don't like the close buttons being sprinkled around in different places, one on every tab (Firefox 2 style)? TOOLS >> PREFERENCES >> ADVANCED >> TABS >> untick "show close buttton on each tab".

Want Opera to ask if you are sure before you shut it down? TOOLS >> PREFERENCES >> ADVANCED >> BROWSING >> tick "confirm exit"

There is heaps more, but these should get you started.

(Posted, by the way, using Firefox, which is my least favourite of the three modern browsers, but I tend to have so many things open at once that it helps me find stuff if I always visit particular sites using particular browsers. So here on WPF I'm a Firefox man. And although I like Opera the most, Firefox is still pretty good.)

PS: I bet there is a way to import your BT Browser bookmarks all in one go. Trouble is, by the time you figure it out, you could probably have just done it by hand. But you could try exporting them to a file (from inside the BT Browser) and then importing them from inside Opera.