Thread: Tripod mount
View Single Post
Old 25-12-05, 16:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie
Not wishing to cause further confusion on this point, but on doing a search I find there are three conflicting thoughts, UNC, Whit and ISO. however a search on google did bring up the various specs for each thread i.e thread angle, pitch and threads per inch, but nothing conclusive.

So let us assume it's a Whit/UNC thread as the difference is not major and both appear to mate together, although not in perfect harmony.

Harry
This is under investigation, but because of the holidays and the shut down of engieering works where the necessary kit to positively confirm resides, will have to wait until into the New Year.
I know UNC fits because I have tried it. However yesterday I came across a sample of British manufacture from the 50's that may well be Whitworth. That has a slightly different form from a unit from Japan circa 1990's that matches UNC.

ISO refers to whether the thread conforms to a standard, and is not a form in its own right.

UNC as a stardard ( ISO ) thread appears to have come out just after the war as a response to the variety of American, British and Canadian threads in common use and the desire to standardise. The odds are that its choice was therefore heavily influenced by America.

That date stamp does suggest Whitworth but we will have to wait and see.

Don