View Single Post
Old 07-06-09, 11:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1994 View Post
............What do you guys think? When did you switch over to digital? What film cameras did you have before?

Thanks

Alex
My history of film cameras is in the ' A trip down Memory Lane ' thread.
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...read.php?t=368

I got into digital with the introduction of the Nikon D100 on the basis that when I retired I thought I would no longer be able to afford my style of photography. Hours spent in the darkroom burning through packs of 12" x 16" Ilford Gallerie or CibaChrome paper. I almost never did straight prints, so 3 or 4 sheets for a single print was not uncommon. Then of course there was the mixing of the chemicals in order to start, and not to forget ..... the washing up afterwards.

For me one big advantage of digital is being able to work on an image on the computer and save it. In the event of a request for an additional print, or more, easy peasy. In my wet darkroom I had a ghetto blaster with a selection of tapes. Mood music on a grand scale. Each print was therefore also influenced by the tracks that were playing. Bruce Springsten would give a different end results from Pink Floyd. Queen or The Pretenders would be different again. I even added that info to my printing maps.

Other than the ability to have the equivalent of various film stocks in a single camera, I think Duncan has hit the nail on the head in respect of experimenting with new styles. For example last year Lello started a High Speed Photography thread.
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...ead.php?t=3386

My efforts posted in that thread, although perfectly do-able on film, would only really have been possible with a spend on an infrared and sound triggers, and of course loads of film. So in this case the cost alone would have stopped me from even considering having a go.

Don