View Single Post
Old 24-12-05, 09:54

Default Flash guns

So I can consider all the possible expenses before I buy a macro lens (probably the Sigma 105mm - I can't afford the Canon if there is further expenditure although looking at the excellent photos in the gallery there seems little between them). Can anybody tell me if a flash unit is a necessary accessory or merely desirable?

I do not have an external flash and would need to factor this into my budget. Will a general purpose flash be OK or is a dedicated Macro (ring?) flash required? If so recommendations/advice would be welcome

Like most of us I have made mistakes in the past and found that is is cheaper to buy the correct (always seems to be the most expensive!) equipment rather than aim lower and end up buying the second choice only to upgrade later. I'm sure we've all been there.

I also notice some members have included work using a macro lens with extension tubes for greater magnification on still subjects. Is there a way of calculating the magnification when using tubes? I presume that these are used at the expense of a loss of light.

Ken