View Single Post
Old 24-03-07, 21:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Carson View Post
I'm newly joined, just a new kid on the block and don't know much about digital photography. My photographic postings have been pretty rough and ready and I limit myself to cropping and recently a little noise reduction, sharpening and brightening.
I feel almost ashamed to post such images when I see the quality pictures on this site.
Now I'm learning that instead of capturing stunning images by using natural talent, patience and perhaps a little luck, some of it is done with the aid of commercial photographic enhancing programs.
Any and all extraneous material is removed artificially. leaving a pristine image. Instead of photographic skill, digital processing skill can be of prime importance. No one knows if it's talent in the field or talent on the computer.
I have to say I'm disapointed.

Bruce C
Bruce,

The images in your gallery are fine, nothing to be ashamed there. As for post pocessing on your pc, then noise reduction, and sharpening are a normal part of the digital process. Sensors create noise when the sensor signal is amplified, and the anti alaise filter by its very nature softens the image. A bit of cloning out of dust spots is the only solution to dust on the sensor, Cropping and brightening are what you could have done in the film days if you printed your own, so nothing new there.

Photographic skill is about getting as much as possible right at the time you press the shutter. Anything beyond that, done in the digital darkroom, is down to personal preference. You would have to be pretty smart in the post processing department to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Don