View Single Post
Old 29-06-10, 11:32

For going to the Med in summer stick to 100 ISO film. Basically with 100 ISO you will have to use one aperture stop over what you would have for 200 ISO, or half the shutter speed.

The best film for your situation is Kodak Ektar 100, it's quite a new film with saturated colours (i.e strong colour). The reds are particularly strong with that film. I think the Lomo red film would just give you an unnatural and gimmicky effect.

Because of the saturated red Ektar is not the most ideal film for photographing people, it makes skin look too red. For people a more natural colour film like the Superia 200 at Boots will do fine. Fuji Reala 100 is also good for providing natural colour, as is Portra.

You may want to consider slide film, but to view you'll either have to a) use a projector b) scan it or c) pay a lab large amounts of money to print it. Slides tend to give very vivid colour.

If you want to take shots at night without a flash I'm afraid you simply can't use the same film as for daylight shots. You'd need at least ISO 400, and given that you have a slow zoom lens ISO 800 or even 1600 would be more ideal. Fujicolour Pro 400H or 800Z spring to mind here.

You may want to try Black&white, there are excellent high-speed films from Kodak and Ilford which give an excellent heavy grain effect. Ilford Delta 3200 ISO and Kodak Tmax 3200 would be ideal. Since they are actually 1000 ISO films designed to be pushed you could expose them at 1600 ISO (remember to tell the lab that).

Filters: this is very much a personal choice here. As Andy said a Polariser will accentuate colours and cut through reflections in water - I've gone without one in sunny conditions. An ND filter will let you use high ISO film in bright light - it uniformly decreases the exposure. There are different grades of ND filter. Bear in mind that while this seems an attractive solution high ISO film are considerably grainier than lower ISOs like Ektar.

Coloured filters will give you more of that specific colour in the photo. Up to you to decide what you like. Since you have an SLR what you see in the viewfinder is very much what you get on the print.