View Single Post
Old 08-12-07, 22:10

I did enjoy it...BUT....i am gulity of fast forwarding through a few parts...Generally quite good, but did get a little irritating at times.
What I feel was missing, particularly in the later episodes is the referencing of the photographer who makes a daily living today. which might have linked up nicely with the referencing of the 'old masters'/early pioneers and people who made a living out of it back then. the series started out nicely but I feel lost it's way.
It's a bit of an old cliche to link photography and art.
To me, as in the title of the series "genius of photography" is a much to do with the images all around us as it is to do with the photographs selling at sotherbys. The last episode touched on this, by telling us it has never been more accessable with the new digital age, but I don't feel enough was made of this. What of the new 'digital' masters, for example? How has editorial and advertising changed with the genius, for example?
Maybe I missed it, but I feel much of the photo style and photographer referencing got stuck somewhere in the 50's, then again in the mid '80s?
However, for me a highlight was Martin Parr's involvement.

On the whole, not a bad series ....I was just a little dissapointed it could've been rounded off and summarised a little better.

......maybe could've done with a 12 part series! lol