View Single Post
Old 06-03-07, 10:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
However, reading other posts on various Nikon and photographic forums it seems that you are rendering NEF's extremely fast, are you sure they are full RAW NEF files you are rendering, you state compressed NEF ?

nirofo.
I use compressed NEF which gives a file size of around 10mb. The uncompressed version is around 20mb and that may account for the difference.

I think Foxy did a comparison between the two and suggested detail in whites was marginally superior on uncompressed. Therefore better for weddings.

Foxy generally used compressed NEF and we have done a series of speed tests over a range of pp processes using the same NEF, and now he has upped his ram the timings are fairly similar.

I deleted all my test notes bar one I have found. This relates to redraw when using the magnifier. Before his ram uprade Foxy found image redraw quite slow. This is my note back to him " I just had a go with hand grabber at 100% less than 1 sec and that is on a move from one side to other side of the screen, even using the birds eye square to move diagonally between corners I cannot count to 2 so I'll call that 1 sec. Redraw using the magnifier on ' birds eye ' from 2% - 600% around 6 secs. "

I am not a computer boffin. This is my system spec as I know it will make sense to you.
Processor Intel Pentium 4 650 ( 3.4 GHz, 2M, 800 )
Memory A Data 2 GB DDR II ( 400MHz )
Hard Drive Maxdor 300GB ( 7200 rpm SATA )
Graphics ATI Radeon x700 256MB ( PCI-E )
Motherboard Elite Group PCI x 3 PCI-E16 x1

Don