View Single Post
Old 07-07-07, 10:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedal View Post
Couldn't resist combination of Don's steam engine and John Crossley's 'waste of space'.

.......................Not sure why you got rid of the green paint Don and have left more colour in sky (actually I suppose the selective de-colouring is probably what took the time)
Very good Chris.

When I took the pic I had the vision of B&W conversion and put back the brass. I did this in the wet darkroom days and the process took ages. The brass being painted back with a fine brush and bleach. So as I had just got NX at the time I thought I would give it a go. You are right about where the time went. In NX the masking layers are automatically created so in essence you can just convert to B&W and then paint back any colour. I have no idea how to do this in Photoshop.

In view of Jamies post I mentioned the relative prices to suggest that you can do a lot without breaking the bank, even if you achieve that through using more than one program.

I have no doubt CS3 is a very powerful program but from my experience with NX and CS2 then I have found NX so much easier to use to do those things that it can ( easier learing curve ). If you run NX then you will need another photo editor to do cloning and some of the fancy pants stuff that Christine, Clive, Craftysnapper and others do.

When I get a chance I will compare how CS deals with a Nikon Raw ( NEF ) file. NX reads all the camera settings and displays the image to suit those camera settings you had when you first open the image. You can then easily change any of those settings. This I found to be the big difference between NX and Rawshooter. Rawshooter although less memory hungry does not seem to recognise any of those settings so you have to reapply. Also a saved as raw file after you have made those adjustments in RSE does not read that info if you open the image at a later date. No such probs in NX or NC4.

To answer an earlier question on NX, a jpeg can be saved as a NEF file ( 8bit ), Tiff file, or jpeg at various step levels of compression. If it is saved as a NEF then all processing actions undertaken are also saved with the image so they can be changed easily at a later date. A processed jpeg saved as NEF is a smaller file size than a straight Tiff.

Don