View Single Post
Old 17-11-06, 11:37

Superb pic Alex.

Focusing a problem - yes. When dof is seriously limited as it is at these magnifications then I use a tripod. No way is my eye sight and hand stability up to handholding. In normal circumstances I use at the minimum a monopod at all focal lengths greater than 50mm and quite often lower. Marksmans badge gained in my youth out the window now.

Your reverse 50 is the best option for mobility shots as you retain auto diaphragm so are always viewing/focussing at max aperture. Bugs on the move, and yours is the best set up even though I would struggle holding focus without support.

As I really have to nail the camera to a tripod I have limitations but then also gains. I am not kit limited even though I have nothing fancy, other than camera and flash, everything is older than 20 years. I can set camera/tripod and lights up and do exposure tests first. Then I use a small cardboard box lid with the front taken off. Add a few leaves or other suitable plant material and place subject within. You do need to keep any hot or bright lights well back to not stress the subject. Then it is a case of waiting for the moment. As I do not have a focusing rail I place the box on the milling table to give myself the micro control of back to front movement.

I you want to get really fancy you can link your camera to a laptop then preview images directly on a large screen. There is a thread on that subject in the ' General Photography Technique -
Camera Remote Control through a PC '.

Given the quality you are achieving here I would expect you to be able to have a lot of fun and create some cracking images if you give this a go.

Adding pics to your post is quite easy. There is info somewhere but in essence it must follow general guidelines as set out in Andys sticky in Members notice board. The image will be direct from your PC so sizing and previewing is easy.

Record where your image is on your PC. I just create a folder for each month and place it there. So much easier.

When you have composed your post scroll down and find the ' Manage attatchments ' button. Hit that and a fly out window will appear. You may have to sign in again. ( sometimes yes, sometmes no ). Hit the browse button and locate image on your PC. Click upload and WAIT. When image is uploaded the title and file size will be displayed. You can then repeat. Max 4 images per day so this will eat into you daily limit if gallery posting.

Try to remember those on dial up. If file size is too large people will not view. I tend for a max of 200mb, less is better, at 1024 x 760 to save scrolling.

3 images attached.

1) Crop from yesterdays EL 90mm - Extension
2) Shot of the set up. Others with laptop control are in the thread mentioned.
3) Screen grab with info on attaching images to a post

Hope this is helpful. Have fun.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image-2-crop.jpg (169.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Macro-set-up.jpg (129.6 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Image upload screenshot.jpg (139.7 KB, 35 views)