Thread: Rollei 35 S
View Single Post
Old 14-02-10, 15:23

Maybe you got a dodgy one. A lot of cameras do go wrong at that age but personally I have never had an old camera with a dodgy lightmeter. I'm sure that if you had a good working example you'd perhaps think differently, I've never previously heard about dodgy exposure from a Rollei. With colour print film the exposure latitude is nice and wide so I don't think a fully working example would ever give you a bad exposure.

As regards focus you know it's not the camera's fault but the squidgy organic bit behind it that is to blame :P

Again you can't compare the Leica or a Hexar to the likes of the Rollei 35, which was intended more as a casual snapshooter than gives great results, or as as a camera to complement a Leica M/Hexar/SLR system. As a stand-alone camera small ones like the Rollei aren't great, but as an auxiliary to a bigger, higher-quality system they are brilliant. That said, my little Minox has never let me down. I usually use slightly too-fast film so I can stop it down to f 8 -16, that way the focus is a lot more forgiving and the lens is at optimum sharpness.