View Single Post
Old 25-05-06, 20:17

All photographs manipulate just by the framing, timing, lens chosen, angle shot etc, etc. Personally I don't do any manipulation beyond cropping, levels, saturation tweeks and such like simple stuff because by and large that is not the kind of photography that appeals to me. However that does not make such manipulation wrong or deceptive as such but only when the photographer tries to deliberately deceive people as in much advertising photos and magazine shots in which, say, models are made to look "perfect" to the detriment of the readers pockets and often their self image. Fraud in other words. Similarly if a wild life photographer tries to pass off a captive animal photo as shot in the wild its wrong. Fraud again. Manipulated but open about it, no problem even if I don't like it.
The other thing which is wrong is people who take bad shots and then try to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. They only fool themselves and harm their own photographic development and perhaps some other people who are taken in by it and think if its "arty" it must per se be good. Gosh, such ramblings, but I hope it makes sense.