View Single Post
Old 14-06-06, 15:05

I thought this thread had died – wasn’t getting updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
As for using the histogram, well I'm afraid I have never seen a pro shooter checking that when working on the hoof a glance at the image in the screen is enough usually.
If you’re going to chimp, surely there's no point in doing so unless you review the histogram? The images alone tell you very little about the exposure, especially in difficult lighting conditions. I would not be surprised to learn that most pros do use it, Arthur Morris certainly does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv
I think that in some areas it's more useful to chimp than in others. Most of my photography is of birds, often you just get one chance to get 'the shot' so there's not much point in chimping as I can't re-take with a different exposure comp...
I photograph birds too, and I agree it isn’t always possible to chimp, but there are many, many occasions when it is possible and a good idea (especially when inexperienced with exposure compensation).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine
I do the same as Peter(postcard).I never check/chimp an image after taking the shot.again,most of my photography shots are of birds,I am too busy keeping my eye on them,waiting for them to stop preening etc,but,and this is a big but!!!.If I was able to understand a histogram,and I did check each image,I would have realised a couple of times that the exposure setting had been accidentally knocked down a couple of stops,and I could have rectified the error,there and then,as opposed to a couple of days later,whereupon I ruined some Lapwing shots.
You are stating an excellent case for chimping, but you say you don’t do it?

I’m an addicted chimper and I don’t think I’ll change. I think learning to use the histogram had a positive impact on my photography.