View Single Post
Old 02-11-09, 17:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrown View Post
For me micrometer it is obvious the raw image has had more sharpening.
Well a lot of water has flowed under the bridge in terms technology advances in respect of In Camera Processing of Jpegs since Feb 06 when I started this thread. For those using or considering buying secondhand older cameras this thread still has relavence.

Firstly let me say that NO SHARPENING was added to the RAW file.

The whole purpose of the thread was to highlight that with some of the cameras available at the time this was an issue. At the time with Nikon the D100 was affected by soft jpegs whereas the D50 was known to have a good jpeg processing engine. So obviously not all cameras from any manufacturer would suffer from soft jpegs. It was Foxy that twisted my arm to try raw and my amazement at the difference inspired the thread. Needless to say this whole episode cost me a beefier pc in order to be able to do everyting in RAW.

Your comment that it is OBVIOUS the raw image has had more sharpening suggests that what you are seeing in terms of sharpness/resolution here is not comparable with the results you are seeing from your own camera WITHOUT SHARPENING. That is a seperate issue, and you are free to start a thread on that as there are a number of variables involved, lens quality being the primary one.

In fact anyone with access to a Nikon D100 and 55mm f2.8 Ais Micro Nikkor lens or a lens of comparable quality could exactly replicate the results from post #1 or any of my other image attached posts in this thread.

To exactly replicate the results in this thread here is the kit used :
Nikon D100 camera ( 6mp ).
55mm f2.8 Ais Micro Nikkor lens.
Cable or other remote release.
Slik Professional Tripod ( Weight with head 6kg. ). I would not expect you to have similar, but none the less your tripod should be more stable than a lot of what is around.
Nikon SB80-DX and Multiblitz252 flash - but any other flashguns would do.
Raw taken at default settings and a straight conversion using Nikon Capture 4.4, but the more up to date NX1 or 2 will give the same result. Note that other raw processors DO NOT give the same result as Nikons software with this camera or my D2X.
In camera Jpeg was set to Jpeg fine, with all other options set to default.
ISO was at base, so for the D100 that is ISO200.

Don