View Single Post
Old 11-02-07, 19:07

Hi,

I have no experience of the FA 70-200 so cannot answer that one. Nor do I have experience of the 42mm to PK adaptor, but from what I've read, it's worth buying the genuine Pentax item, some of the pattern parts can be tricky to fit and remove by all accounts. I have not heard of any problems with focus at infinity. I wouldn't bother with trying to use the old M42 mount items, the PK bayonet fit manual lenses are very cheap and save the hassle of the adaptor. I'd make sure any old lenses you buy are SMC coated, a lot of the old M42 Takumar items aren't.

The 50mm f/2 is, very unfairly, looked down on compared to the f/1.7 and f/1.4 fifties. The f/2 can often be picked up for stupidly low cash and the differences between the f/2 and faster lenses really aren't that big. If you can't find a 50mm f/2 on its own, they can usually be picked up for the same cost as "lens only" when purchased attached to an old Pentax body.

You are limited to center weighted metering when using the manual lenses, and you have to flick a lever (the depth of field preview switch) to get it to take a meter reading before pressing the button, but it's all very simple.

Duncan