View Single Post
Old 16-12-08, 22:59

You've come up with some valid points there.
I've not got too much experience of camera clubs, or photographic clubs. From what I remember of the time I went to a local one when I was 16-17, it wasn't too good. Much being made of the cameras being used to 'validate' a photograph.
I think sometimes we can get too hung up on the 'rules' of photography. Straight horizons, law of thirds, proportional balance and all the laa dee da. Sometimes I think some might even be missing shots whilst they recollect how they should be pointing their cameras. Reminds me of the time I had a conversation with a tutor at uni saying that I didn't agree with hime saying there's a 'specific' way to hold an SLR camera...e.g if I'm up a ladder I'd rather have one hand on that ladder thanks very much!
It's true that some guidelines are taken as rules cast in stone by photographers and judges alike, where I think they should be things to be treated as a guide to starters then become almost as intuition, either conciously or otherwise.
I am often a frustrated photographer, in terms of, I often have an idea of a particular shot 'ideal', which then doesn't happen, maybe. I then end up with an image which I thought was crap, or one I was pleasantly suprised with, but I can't recall an occasion where I've not bothered taking the shot because it didn't 'conform' .
In the age of digital, I feel quite strongly that people should be encouraged to try new ideas and not worry too much about, or be interupted by judges ego's. There's quite a few more mediocre photos around now, but there's more great ones about now too.
It's quite nice to have a story behind a shot, how it was done etc. HOWEVER, if the story turns into a reason of how difficult a shot was to get, almost to the point of explaining why it wasn't sharp/grainy/poor composition etc it doesn't work, unless it's a shot specifically illustrating a 'nearly-but not quite' technique (I've had my fair share). I also tried this tactic ONCE years ago with some cricket shots at the Mercury picture desk. Unfortunately, it doesn't work! lol
Photographs are so subjective that a judges job (and photographer when considering the entry) is made almost impossible. I have a guideline in the back of my mind now with some (but not all) shots I take which is "would I pay money for this picture". If the answer is "No", I then ask "what makes it special". If the answer to that is "a personal memory" I wont subject it to anyone else.
I guess there's loads people can add to this.
You started a good thread here....I think this one could run 'til next christmas!!