View Single Post
Old 21-04-06, 22:12

Default AF-S VR Nikkor 300/2.8G IF-ED (Nano)

Some thoughts on this lens which I purchased some months ago.I appreciate this lens may have very limited interest on this forum, but here goes anyway.
It arrived from the Channel Isles in a very big box which when opened, was contained in a very smart bag, (a bit like a small LP 600AW).
I was immediately impressed by the feel and build quality of the lens and its general balance in the hand.Size wise it is about 270mm long,115mm dia, the CF hood is about 120mm long, which when attached makes the lens look much bigger than it actually is.The weight is 2870g (about 6.3 lbs) which some may consider heavy but it is very managable especially with the VR function.
It is not my intention to regergitate all the "techno bable" in great detail but to say that it has manual over ride,VR, a focus limiter switch (full and 6m to infinity),norm and active VR, memory recall, small slip in filter drawer,a sound monitor to advise when you have reached the memory reset position and 4 in number focus lock buttons, and rotating tripod colar with removable foot ( screwdriver).

The lens comes with the HK30 hood, which as stated is quite long, and more than adequate for cutting out extrenous light.The bag (case) will give good protection if dropped, and the front lens cover is a huge pull over, well padded sock affair with draw strings.

Reason for buying this lens was for birding ,and to be used as a "poor" mans very close focusing (2.25m ish), hand holdable, light weight 600mm/5.6 VR lens.
So how did it perform?
The VR is brilliant, a very simple press stud and about 5 degrees of rotation and its on/off very quick and easy to use.It is not a sliding switch as per 80-400 or 70-200 nikkors.
On its own 300/2.8 very, very fast and very sharp.So sharp that since my razor packed up I use it to shave with!!The VR is a great feature on this lens especially hand held or on a bean bag.
As a 420/4 (TC 1.4) it is still very, very sharp and fast and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.
As a 510/4.8 (TC 1.7) still very sharp and fast (D2H/D2X) and again you you would be hard pressed to see the difference.
So far so good, BUT, there is always a BUT/IF ONLY, and sadly, used as a 600/5.6 (TC 2.0) you can see there is a slight fall off in sharpness at f5.6 (wide open), but sharpness gets better at f8/f11.The lens is certainly useable at this combination but if you are use to seeing the outstanding results at 300,420 and 510 you maybe a little disappointed.
At lower magnifications the lens can be used wide open and exhibits good color and contrast.To sum up an expensive lens, which more than justifies the price tag and is a very worthy member of the Nikkor family, it will suit sport /bird photographers especially with the added reach of the 1.4/1.7 TCs.

regards Subzero.