View Single Post
Old 26-04-10, 17:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll View Post
No, I have never even used the cameras. The OM1 was a silver wedding anniversary present from my dad to my mum and the OM 10 was a present from my mum to my dad because he kept nicking her OM1. When mum died dad kept the cameras and lenses although never used them again and now dad has recently died I have got them. Like I say I do not really know what to do with them as they have sentimental value as the only personal keep sake I have got but I have my digital cameras which I use all the time plus a goodly collection of my own Canon film cameras and lenses, both FD mount and EOS. I must say the Olympus cameras, especially the OM1, and lenses are absolutely beautiful and a joy to handle - they don't make them like that any more.
If they're in good condition the full setup would fetch 200-300 pounds on Ffordes, but if you're not willing to sell that's fine.

I used to use a Leica R3 (which shares a body with some Minolta) and after using the OM-1 it just looks and handles like an ugly brick in comparison - far larger, heavier and less ergonomic. Olympus actually did ergonomic studies when designing the OM-1 to find out the perfect dimensions for something that's pretty much square (no chunky rubberised handgrips). It's a shame for such a beautifully made camera to sit unused. Perhaps you should grab some Ektar or HP125 and chuck it in - who knows, you might get a nice surprise.

Anyway, I think I will buy the 200mm, for £15 it's cheaper than a 3rd-party lens, feels like stealing really.