View Single Post
Old 23-01-08, 11:59
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidders View Post
I never do any sharpening at the conversion from RAW stage... in fact I do all my post processing and then sharpen at the last step - I find this reduces the occurrence of odd sharpening effects.
Absolutely right here. But I keep‘0’ sharpness in my camera and push sharpness to 3 during raw processing. Tell me if I’m doing anything wrong here.
Rudra

As I understand it in camera sharpening only applies if you are shooting JPGs - in which case you would probably want a little sharpening applied. RAW files always look a little soft 'straight out of the camera'.

At the conversion from RAW stage I apply what ever noise reduction setting I feel are appropriate (in lightroom I have a set of standard ISO dependenant settings that are applied automatically when my RAW files are imported.

However I apply zero sharpening at the time of converting from RAW (which is probably why the colour original image I posted of Victoria looked soft). I will then apply any retouching to lines, wrinkles, spots etc, brightening of eyes, darkening of lips etc.

The final step before printing is then to apply sharpening either via smart sharpen (CS2/3) or unsharp mask. In either case I do this on a separate layer so that I can mask off any areas I do not want to sharpen (eg skin tones) and then also fade the opacity until I have the degree of sharpening I want. (In the case of Victoria, with hindsite it is perhaps a tad oversharpened in some areas but this was down sampled for the web from a file prepared for printing A4 - thats my excuse & I'm sticking to it )