View Single Post
Old 24-09-08, 18:08
Super Moderator

I decided I couldn't wait until next week to start this project, so here is what I have done so far.

I bought 50x 10mm Leds off ebay. Total cost £4.95 with postage.
Spare 2 core Speaker wire.
Black gaffa tape
Chrome Tape to use as a reflector.
The cardboard tube from an empty gaffa tape role, this fits nicely around the Canon 100mm Macro.
A straight Pin
Long nose pliers.

Photo 1.
Mark and pierce holes with the pin 11mm apart in each side of the speaker cable and push the positive pin though the positive side and negative through Negative,

Photo 2.
Align all LEDs so they are the same height and bend the pins over so they don't touch each other.

Photo 3.
Put a small strip off gaffa tape over the bottom set of pins to give some insulation.

Photo 4 & 5
Cover cardboard tube with black gaffa tape on the inside and outside.
On the top edge put a small strip of chrome tape to act as a reflector.
Wrap around the LED's so the bulb is resting on the reflector and hold down with more gaffa tape.
Cut a 1/2" wide piece of cardboard the length of the leds plus a little overlap, cover this with chrome tape. Wrap this around the outside of the bulbs and pull tight and join. (This is the outside reflector).
Finish off with Black gaffa tape to hide all the pins and attach the battery holder. I have yet to do this as I have only borrowed one from something else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attchfront.jpg (115.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg attchback1.jpg (116.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg attchback.jpg (137.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg bulbsattachedb.jpg (138.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg finled.jpg (90.9 KB, 15 views)
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.