View Single Post
Old 14-08-06, 16:22

Default NX Discussion, Hits ,Tips & Tricks

Now than Nikon NX has hit the shops, I got my copy on Friday, I thought a dedicated thread may be helpful.

Unlike other full imaging programs which spawn a multitude of ' how to ' books NX will probably remain low key in that respect and most users will rely on the manual, help files and internet postings.

From other sites that I have looked at where people have posted pics with an explanation of how they got there, more time seems to have been spent slagging off the image than regarding the post as a positive contribution to the learning curve of the features of NX. This thread is aimed at learning the program, and luckily WPF is not like that anyway.

To put my posts in context I should at the outset say that I do not regard NX as a fully featured imaging program but it does contain useful features other than NEF Nikons raw conversion, that are easy to use for a ' dummy ' like me. Photoshop or other editing programs are still required to perform those actions for which NX does not cater.ction with NX.

The downside for some, other than cost, is the system requirements. Details here http://www.capturenx.com/

I am lucky in having a newish PC, 3.4GHz, with 2.0 Gig of RAM and performance varies from fast to slow. NC3.5 through to 4.4 was a killer on my laptop ( no problem on the pc ) but has never suffered the variable speed of operation issue I have encountered with NX. Hopefully I will discover this to be operator error, or it maybe down to the sequence of adjustments to the image. I am not a computer buff so will have to experiment a bit.

The first image editing post relates to a very specific idea that came from a discussion with Nikon Foxy Bob. This is something I did in the old darkroom days with traction engine pics where I printed in B&W and then coloured the brass parts by using bleach. It took ages per print applying bleach with a very fine brush. The image Gidders has in his gallery ' Something Red ' has stuck in my mind since it was posted, as it followed a similar processing style but has colour other than gold. Link here http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...ppuser=72&sl=g So it may well have had an unconscious influence in making me find a way of changing the glass lens colour in this image. Brown lenses did not work for me in a sepia image.

Don