Thread: TC Musings
View Single Post
Old 22-03-07, 21:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
I regularly work with a TC14E on my Nikon 500 f4 AFS and can honestly say I can't tell the difference. I'm sure Leif is right, some converters only work well with specific lenses, on the other hand I have a Tamron 1.4 that seems to work well on my Tokina 150-500 f5.6 ATX, my Tokina 80-400 ATX and on my Tamron 90mm Macro. I think if you push the boat out and use a 2X converter on any lens, then you are going to have to except lower quality results. Having said that, if it's the only way you can obtain the shot, then the result is as good as it gets!

nirofo.
Have you tried a 2x TC on your 500mm lens? Andy has some results with a 600mm F4 + 2x TC that are surprisingly good. And Arthur Morris has some in his bird book that are also surprisingly good. At least one of his pictures stacks TCs i.e. 1.4x + 2x.

I think we also need to remember that most of us are testing teleconverters on APS cameras. That means that any edge softness is going to be reduced. That said, I've tried a TC14A on a Nikon 75-150 F3.5, a Nikon 200mm F4 AFD micro lens and a Sigma 400mm F5.5 APO Macro, and the less said the better. The best of the bunch is the 75-150 zoom + TC which is surprisingly sharp, but CA is excessive. The TC14A is said to be for lenses less than 200mm so maybe that explains the results.