Thread: Marque tool
View Single Post
Old 18-04-06, 08:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
The marquee tool means you must go to Image, Crop. The top tool bar is not available so you can input sizes, you cannot double click to crop, and the area to be cropped off is not shaded or adjustable. Use Ctrl C not Ctrl M to select it in the tool box

Image-crop takes about a quarter of a second longer than going straight to the 'tick' in crop tool and sometimes the shaded area of the crop hides a little detail that you may have wanted in the shot, though you can, of course, adjust the opacity of the shaded area.

The one area that is much slower in marquee is when you crop to a certain size for making a print - you can't set a pre-determined size. You set one dimension and then crop off the other until you get the right size - it does, however make you look very closely at what you crop out (ie whether you shave a bit off the top or the bottom) and this sort of makes you consider the overall composition very carefully.

I've found that by setting a certain size in crop tool it's very easy to become lazy and just draw around the main subject and leave it at that - OK, I was telling a bit of an untruth when I said that I always use the marquee tool!

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway