View Single Post
Old 13-12-05, 18:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
I've been wondering just how many independant camera manufacturers will be left in a few years time? Canon for sure, Nikon probably (but you wonder if Sony has eyes on them), Panasonic will surely be around but I wonder if they'll be selling their cameras under the name of a casualty?
Olympus, Pentax, Fuji?
Hi Andy,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "independent". There is a never ending round of corporate mergers and take-overs with different business' being bought by others, particular company sectors being sold off etc. This will continue, eventually every company will be a subsidiary of Macdonalds. I think there will still be different brands, selling different models, made by different divisions of perhaps a major parent company.

The fact remains that Canon and Nikon dominate the dSLR market, the share between these two will ebb and flow as models and marketing trends come and go. Other players will continue in their own little niche areas, though they may well need to tie up with other companies to survive. My own favourite, Pentax, has not so long ago announced a tie up with Samsung to develop new models as it clearly does not have the resources on its own to do this against the huge budgets available to Canon/Nikon, this kind of thing is the way the market will develop in the future I'm sure.

Regards,

Duncan