View Single Post
Old 20-04-11, 13:17
Super Moderator

I'm going to kick off with a lens that has grown on me and now I would hate to be without (will post about other lenses later).

A few years back I was shooting my first weddings and needed a good fast lens, I couldn't afford to buy new so ended up with a used Canon 28-70 f2.8 L. My first thought was that this huge lump of glass had better be good if I was going to have to carry it all day long. An hour of test shooting later and I realised that it was worth the weight, AF is super fast and acurate and the images were pin sharp even when shooting at f2.8. For the first few weddings I played it safe and shot at f5.6-f8 but got results I was happy with.

Then the doubts kicked in, would I be better with a 24-105 f4 (IS would be good) or even bite the bullet and buy the new 24-70 f2.8. I tried both and could see the appeal of them, but the 24-105 was softer even at f8 and the only plus of the 24-70 was 4mm at the wide end. So I stuck with the lens and started shooting wider, shooting it regularly at f2.8 I finally got what the lens was about. Now, many weddings later I can't imagine shooting a wedding without this lens, a definite keeper.