WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

portrait setup?

Old 14-05-09, 19:30

Default portrait setup?

hi, I have been into photography for 6-7 months now shooting various subjects. After showing some of the relatives some of my shots, they have all said they think I should get a small set-up so I can take some shots of my niece and nephews etc. so that they can get me to do some of them rather than them spending a fair amount of cash on a professional doing them.
I have looked around at some set-ups but to be honest, I'm not really sure what I'm looking at, or if it will even be compatible with my camera. I use a Fuji S9600.

thanks
steve
Old 14-05-09, 19:35

When you say "small seup" what do you mean? What sort of equipment are you looking at?

Duncan
Old 14-05-09, 19:38

small, cheap, just enough that will do what i need to get some nice shots of the niece and nephews etc really. I was looking at the jessops light setup, 2 lights, 2 umbrellas etc but I know jessops is normally expensive, and im not sure if that will be overkill for what i need?
Old 14-05-09, 19:54
Super Moderator

The cheapest option (and possibly the best) is to do portrait outside using natural light. Outdoor portraits can look a lot more natural and with a bit of thought you'll be able to get the light right and get nice backgrounds.
Old 14-05-09, 19:59

Ah! Lights.

For what you'll pay for a lighting setup, you could get some nice portraits done by a local jobbing pro. But, if you want to get into portrait work in the longer term, then buying your own lighting setup will be necessary.

You have a Fuji superzoom, which whilst it has a hotshoe, essential for triggering the lighting, is going to limit you rather. You will get quite a bit of noise on your pictures compared to a dSLR, and I'm not sure you'll be able to get the control you need for studio lighting. Anybody know of anyone doing studio work with a superzoom? Can't say I've ever heard of this kind of setup.

As well as the lights, you're probably going to need a flash meter, unless you do a lot of chimping and experimentation with the exposure.

So, by the time you've bought your lights, meter, dSLR, you're looking at a lot of money if you go down that path.

Alternatively, you could buy a reflector disc (<£20), or make your own from a big sheet of cardboard glue and tinfoil, buy a sheet of black cloth to use as a backdrop, iron a white sheet to act as another backdrop, rig up a temporary stand to hang your sheet(s) from - I found a projector screen was good for this if you could borrow on of those from someone, find a location next to a window - preferably north facing. Get stuck in and learn how to do portraits with natural light and a simple reflector.

For what you want, the studio setup is overkill.

Duncan
Old 14-05-09, 20:02

Ah, Peter beat me to it!

If you're going to do outdoor shots, make sure the lighting is not too bright and directly overhead. Late evening light can be very flattering. Think about the direction of the light relative to your subject, look at the shadows being cast, use a reflector to fill in the dark bits as needed. Don't use on-camera flash (as a general rule).
Old 14-05-09, 20:05

good point, I never thought about doing them outdoors. I could still probably do with a set-up for indoor use though, as my daughter is only 2 years old and not very steady on her feet 100% due to a mild disability. so reading yelvertofts post i think that could well be the best route thinking about it. when I saw those reflector discs I did think maybe I should try out my car sun shade for front windscreen, but got a funny look from the wife haha. I shall give it a go I think and see how they turn out. Also, I had read in one of my digital photographer magazines to not use on camera flash if it can be helped,so thanks for confirming that too. thanks for all the tips now to just keep an eye out for some sort of backdrop frame
Old 15-05-09, 09:07

Silvered car screen shade would be ideal as a reflector, there was a letter in one of the magazines recently where someone gave exactly that tip.

Backdrop frames? Try using one of those self standing clothes drying racks. If your daughter is only two, and not so stable, then having her sitting on the floor with a sheet draped over floor and up a drying rack may be quite effective. You would need a window/patio door arrangement to let light in at ground level.

Duncan
Old 15-05-09, 09:18

oh thats an even better idea about the drying rack, i have 3 sitting in the loft doing nothing! thanks

steve
Old 15-05-09, 17:59

Another idea for your daughter and others little people, lie on your back with your knees up and get them to lean over the top of your knees, with head and shoulders showing, someone distracting off to left or right behind your head can provoke some great expressions. Works very well indoors and out.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!