WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Canon or Nikon can you tell

Old 22-04-06, 15:52

Default Canon or Nikon can you tell

I was printing this photo out the other day for someone. It was taken a few years ago, and definately not with my current camera. I was almost squealing with delight at the quality of the image, especially the print. I was wondering if you could tell what camera was used to take it. A Canon or Nikon dSLR, I have owned and used both in recent years. Some say they can always tell, and maybe they can, just wondered if you can and why
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lucca_bicycles_web.jpg (169.9 KB, 66 views)
Old 22-04-06, 16:54

Default **

As a complete novice to this picture taking hobby, I sure can't tell. However, I hope it's a Nikon because that's what I bought!

Frank
Old 22-04-06, 17:38

I'd say a Canon....but I'm guaranteed at leat a 50% chance to get it right!

EDIT: Just a sidenote - For my own use, I don't care which camera took it - as long as it looks good on the final print!
Old 22-04-06, 17:43

It was your finger on the Shutter button and your eye at the viewfinder Stephen, thats what realy matters. Get it printed and hung.

Nice One

Brian
Old 22-04-06, 20:27

Just another little conundrum, can anyone (other than Stephen) say where the picture was taken - perhaps just the country? No prizes (unless Stephen has one to offer!) - just a bit of fun.
A nice pleasing picture though stephen.

Roger
Old 22-04-06, 21:20

I'd say somewhere in central Italy for location. Regarding make of camera used to take it, I neither know, nor care. There is so much capability to tweak settings both "in camera" and in external post-processing then this is a totally meaningless question. It's the photographer that takes the picture, the camrea is just a tool.

Duncan.
Old 22-04-06, 22:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
I was wondering if you could tell what camera was used to take it. A Canon or Nikon dSLR, I have owned and used both in recent years. Some say they can always tell, and maybe they can, just wondered if you can and why
Stephen,

May just be me but:
Sensor types CMOS , LBCAST, CCD. Lens infinite variety of qualities, prime v zoom from either Canon or Nikon. How can anyone tell ?

I know there is a lot of discussion on DPR about D2Hs v D200 and nobody appears to have provided conclusive evidence either way to satisfy the opposite camp there. One is a 4mp LBCAST sensor v 10mp CCD. I note nobody is pitching the D2X against the D2Hs in that forum though, and that uses a CMOS sensor at 12mp.

Don
Old 22-04-06, 22:43

I like your picture. It has a nice mood.

They do say that Nikon lenses tend to be very contrasty, and Zeiss and Leica softer i.e. less contrasty. I'm not sure anyone could tell the difference though.

These days the software used to manipulate the image plays just as big a role.

Leif
Old 22-04-06, 23:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif

They do say that Nikon lenses tend to be very contrasty, and Zeiss and Leica softer i.e. less contrasty. I'm not sure anyone could tell the difference though.

Leif
They certainly used to, but I think the two camps have come much closer together nowadays

Basically the high contrast Nikon-types sacrificed ultimate resolving power of finest detail in order to give the photo a 'punchy' look whereas the Leica types used to resolve very fine detail but at the cost of lower contrast which made the photos appear less sharp at first sight.

This is probably one of the main reasons, apart from motor-winders, why Nikon became the No. 1 press photographers' camera as they didn't need the finer detail for shots that were printed coarsely in newspapers but the 'snappier' Nikon shots looked sharper on the page

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 23-04-06, 00:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft
I'd say somewhere in central Italy for location. Regarding make of camera used to take it, I neither know, nor care. There is so much capability to tweak settings both "in camera" and in external post-processing then this is a totally meaningless question. It's the photographer that takes the picture, the camrea is just a tool.

Duncan.
I would absolutely agree with you there Duncan. However some people seem to feel that there are inherant differances in the feel of images from Canons against Nikons. Indeed it is a case of preferring one over the other.

BTW the photo was taken in Lucca, Northern Tuscany. Oh I nearly forgot, the camera was a Canon 10D. 17-40mm f.4L