WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Lomography

Old 25-06-10, 10:21

Default Lomography

Anyone use these cameras? I have just been introduced to this type of camera, through the internet, & think I might give one a go. Any feedback welcomed.
Old 26-06-10, 14:21

Used one years ago, rather a lot of distortion but the centre was reasonably sharp. Stopped working after a short life. Strictly a 'fun' camera.
Old 26-06-10, 15:20

Thanks for that Mike. I think with all the photoshop software etc, I'll stick to digital & make the 'Fun' happen from the software. Thanks again, I thought all this was new?
Old 28-06-10, 14:34

Lomos have been around for yonks - LOMO was a major Soviet optics manufacturer. The LC-A was made in the 80s, I think.

The fad, called Lomography, where they make you pay extortionate amounts of money for some shoddy Soviet rubbish, is quite new.

Mike's comment about sharpness is a little out of place - Lomos completely redefine the technical judgement qualities of a photograph. Light leaks, distortion, crappy colour, blurriness are all part of the package.

It's far more authentic to make the fun happen with the camera - it's difficult to shp in that sort of effect without making look artificial.
Old 28-06-10, 16:26

Thanks for the reply Alex. I think I will stick to the more conventional gear!
Old 28-06-10, 17:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1994 View Post
Mike's comment about sharpness is a little out of place - Lomos completely redefine the technical judgement qualities of a photograph. Light leaks, distortion, crappy colour, blurriness are all part of the package.
That is a little unfair Alex, I actually owned and used one until it died so I am only reporting what I found with my copy. Colours with colour negative film were OK as was the centre for reasonable sharpness but plenty of distortion and edge blurriness. No light leakage. What I used mine for was as a beach camera taking photos of the then small children playing on the beach with plenty of sand and sea water flying around. Strangely I do not think it was the sea and sand that killed it because it never actually got splashed or anything but it just died refusing to fire.
Old 29-06-10, 11:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll View Post
That is a little unfair Alex, I actually owned and used one until it died so I am only reporting what I found with my copy. Colours with colour negative film were OK as was the centre for reasonable sharpness but plenty of distortion and edge blurriness. No light leakage. What I used mine for was as a beach camera taking photos of the then small children playing on the beach with plenty of sand and sea water flying around. Strangely I do not think it was the sea and sand that killed it because it never actually got splashed or anything but it just died refusing to fire.
Fair enough Mike, no offense was intended, I was just hinting at the fact that to me a Lomo is not really a proper camera and hence should not be judged by the same criteria as other cameras are.