WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

File size and picture dimensions

Old 02-12-06, 23:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
skywatch,yes I have the same prob as yourself.I tend to use Picasa as it is so easy for simple editing,I resize to 800 pixels,but then the Gallery here tells me the file size is too big,which means I then have to return to Elements to check and change the file size,but where is the "compression".I do save my images at around 8 for quality,is that the compression?.
Cool - member #2 in the Beginners Club! Maybe once we've both read and absorbed all the advice here about the things we can/could/should do to our photos we'll be a bit less frustrated and confused.

skwatch
Old 03-12-06, 00:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
skywatch,yes I have the same prob as yourself.I tend to use Picasa as it is so easy for simple editing,I resize to 800 pixels,but then the Gallery here tells me the file size is too big,which means I then have to return to Elements to check and change the file size,but where is the "compression".I do save my images at around 8 for quality,is that the compression?.
That's it Christine.

It would appear that Elements 3 has a similar "Save As" as Photoshop, Which is a sliding scale of 0-12. The content of the photo will determine the exact setting, but usually around 5-8 on a 1000 pixel image would be somewhere near the mark.

Harry
Old 03-12-06, 08:22

When I get a shot ready for posting in the gallery I usually do the following:

Image processing: I usually work from an image that I've already processed with the usual 'levels,' 'unsharp mask,' etc.

Re-size: make sure that 'constrain proportions' is 'ticked' as this will automatically keep proportions of the image correct when you re-size one dimension. Then I make sure that 72 pixels per inch is set as the resolution. I keep the maximum width within about 1000 pixels and the height 700 pixels as any larger means that many viewers will have to 'scroll' around the image on their monitors to view it all - this completely ruins the overall effect of the photo!

File-size/compression: I use the 'Save for Web' function (just below 'Save as' in photoshop, etc.). This opens the image in a seperate window and you can use the slider towards the right side whilst checking the file-size under the shot towards the left. The lower the figure you use, the higher the compression (basically, you're throwing out details from the image for file-reducing, but the detail will be 're-invented' when you open it up to view - with varying degrees of faithfulness to the original!). You can get away with surprisingly small file sizes purely for internet viewing. The largest file size in my gallery is about 176kbs whilst the smallest is approx. 44kbs. The larger the image size and the more fine detail (ie. leaves on trees) that it contains the larger the file size will be unless you use more compression. A shot re-sized to 800 pixels wide containing a large area of one colour, such as a clear blue sky, will look fine at about 40kbs.

Bear in mind that many people don't have broadband connections so opening up large files is a time-consuming business on dial-up - if they see that a shot has a file size around 250kbs they'll probably not bother viewing it at all!

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 06-12-06, 21:13

thanks,Adey.Will lookout for that box.Pity Picasa does not have the same info,although it does have a save as" small file".Could do a test .Elements is so time consuming,and if ones image only needs a basic crop and tweak,Picasa is so much quicker.I has just takem me 2 hrs!!!,yes 2 hrs to sort out how to re submit a plugin to Elements 4.0 which I prev used in Elements 2.0.No mention was made of the fact that one had to re register,or that one had to turn off and re start the pc before the thing would work.4 times I downloaded and deleted the prog.But success eventually.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 06-12-06, 22:20

Christine, you're making life difficult for yourself if you've gone to the trouble of getting Elements and then not using it! It's a very quick programme (apart from when you first open it up!) if you've only got a few things to do.

Provided that your photo is about right straight from the camera then you've only got a few things to do to it and getting familiar with the settings needed will make it easier still as most of the tools will re-open at the same setting that you used on your last shot

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 07-12-06, 21:14

Adey,yes,I have sussed out the basics of 4.0 now,the simple way of bringing a photo into the prog for editing,but the filter I downloaded last night,now does not work.It is there in the prog,but seems to be not connecting,very annoying,and timewasting!!!

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356