WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Macro & Flash photography

Old 19-03-06, 16:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogbad
Hi guy's thAnks for info it's a bit mind bogling. Price wise I am looking to pay between £150.00 and £200.00 but this includes a set of extension tubes as well.

I know Jessups do a flash with Bounce, swivel and Zoom(280D) for about £65.00 but dont mind paying upto a £100.00 for a flash.

Gosh this photography lark is getting expensive. I find myself saying "I need..."

Nogbad
Hi Nogbad,

Afraid its all about choices. Depends on what you want really. There are 3 stages of expenditure in flash.
1) The most expensive option is also the easiest in use. The D70 uses Nikons InteliFlash which is very, very clever. The camera controls the flash exposure and you just worry about where to place the gun relative to subject.
2) Auto flash. A sensor in the flashgun will limit exposure depending on the setting you apply. A bit more knowledge of flash required.
3) Cheapest. All manual control but far greater knowledge required.

Before you can consider option 2 or 3 you need to see if in your custom settings you can set your pop up flash to manual. If you can then it can be used as a trigger for options 2 or 3. If you cannot we will need to ask for another Forum member who is able to do a test so I can understand the options better.

Don
Old 19-03-06, 21:41

Hi Don, yes I can set the camera to manual flash in the menu system. So does this mean I can by a flash gun and use the pop flash to control exposure?

Nogbad
Old 19-03-06, 22:01

Quote:
Hi Don, yes I can set the camera to manual flash in the menu system. So does this mean I can by a flash gun and use the pop flash to control exposure?

Nogbad
Hi Nogbad,

That means options 2 & 3 are available to you. Both of which mean learning a bit about flash. Its all a budget thing. From a standing start and if you wanted to do a lot then option 1 is the easiest and most versatile. Check Harry's latest post.
For option 2 and 3 we will need to understand what subjects you are looking at generally taking. Harry's Jessops twin flash may be what you would fancy. If this is so we need to ask him if those units have a controlable output or sensor. I can tailor a flash info job to suit you.

Check it out and come back. I think all info is in the Macro thread.

Don
Old 19-03-06, 22:09

"Harry's Jessops twin flash may be what you would fancy. If this is so we need to ask him if those units have a controlable output or sensor. I can tailor a flash info job to suit you"

The Jessops flashguns cannot be controlled, so full output only. Even so I did not find this to be a problem as the flash sync speed on my Canon is 1/200 + being able to stop down to f/32 gave me all the control I ever required.

Harry
Old 19-03-06, 22:14

Thanks Harry

Don
Old 19-03-06, 22:38

Quote:
Hi guy's thAnks for info it's a bit mind bogling. Price wise I am looking to pay between £150.00 and £200.00 but this includes a set of extension tubes as well.

I know Jessups do a flash with Bounce, swivel and Zoom(280D) for about £65.00 but dont mind paying upto a £100.00 for a flash.

Nogbad
Nogbad,

I'm going to have a trawl through AP second hand section. Can't believe how much Nikon tubes are new.

This will also beg the question how much magnification are you looking at. Draw a circle and give an idea of what that measures.

Don
Old 20-03-06, 20:09

Don thanks, I have seen how much the Nikon ext tubes are. Wow! I have found some Kenko Ext tubes at about £110.00, and will probably plump for these unless I can find a set cheaper.

Now for the really Thicko question! Draw a circle and do what with it?
Do I photograph it at the largest magnification on my macro lens and then measure that?

Sorry if I am being really dense here! I really am not technically minded.

Nogbad
Old 20-03-06, 20:27

Quote:
Now for the really Thicko question! Draw a circle and do what with it?
Nogbad
Hi Nogbad,

In order to try and establish some sort of info on flash I wanted to establish how close the lens will be to the subject. If you draw a circle or use a coin that covers an area roughly equal to your subject, I can simulate that here to see the lighting problem. I have a 55mm lens which will be near enough. The difference with Harrys set up is he is using I think 105mm which increases the lens to subject distance.

I did some pics in the Macro thread where I show a tape measure to give an idea of what I mean. Pic here http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...0&d=1135954278

I'm on a roll here so this is a link to the thread. http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...read.php?t=314

Don
Old 20-03-06, 20:51

Hi Don, currently I use the Nikor 60mm macro lens and the closest I can get is about 8 inches. which gives a fairly good close up. I am looking to take photo's of insects and plants mainly but would like to do some indoor work also at sometime hence the question re flash.

Nogbad
Old 20-03-06, 20:58

Quote:
Hi Don, currently I use the Nikor 60mm macro lens and the closest I can get is about 8 inches. which gives a fairly good close up. I am looking to take photo's of insects and plants mainly but would like to do some indoor work also at sometime hence the question re flash.

Nogbad
Nogbad,

Have you seen Harrys Jessops flash set up. Pic in post 40 of this thread.
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...hp?t=94&page=4

Don