WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

How did you become interested in photography?

Old 20-02-06, 22:04

I took up birdwatching after mobility probs meant I was unable to do lots of walking and motorcyling.I needed to be out of doors,able to sit down and not look like a spare part.I then wanted to be able to take photos of the birds .My first digi cam was a used Finepixs620.A great cam,I was amazed I could take a shot,that was not minus half of the object.But then I needed to be able to see on a photo,the object I could see in the scope,hence a tip off re Andy's digiscoping Forum,which in turn led me to BF.Then as has been already mentioned the 300d arrived on the scene,affordable,and it does take some great shots.Then came the 100-400 lens,and it now so simple to take relatively close up shots of birds.Unfortunately,all happened rather late in life,when brain is somewhat sponge-like,so remembering various settings etc and techniques is not so easy,but I just enjoy being outside and taking photos in general.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 21-02-06, 20:54
Super Moderator

My life in Photography.
I was fascinated with photography from a very early age in the 50's. My dad used to put a negative on a piece of photo paper and put it in the sun to develop. I watched in amazement as the picture appeared. I don't know how he made them light fast, I never saw that bit. From then on it was part of my life till I left school and started in a development house printing colour.I worked there for a number of years until they closed down just at the time I was to get married and move away. I had a break for a few years then went back to photography to do door to door photography doing children's portraits and weddings, this was fun but it kept me out of the darkroom which I missed, so I then decided to do mail order black and white working from home all hand printed. I received work from Universities in Ireland, London and from abroad. A few years went by and we decided to move house so had to let everyone know that I would no longer be in business. I then sold everything and gave up apart from the odd snapshot until about 4 years ago I bought my first digital compact then I wanted to experiment with digiscoping but that didn't last long I wanted more freedom in taking photo's of the birds. I went and bought my first digital slr 18mths ago. the spark is back with a vengeance.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 23-02-06, 16:15

I was always interested in photography and birds, but when I was young I didn't have the money, and then when I was older I had the money, but not the time. A couple of years ago I got made redundant and discovered that one one wanted to employ as 59 year old antique as I was then so I decided to retire. I initially got a scope and bins but felt that there should be more to it than just looking at birds, so I bought a Nikon 4500. That's when the frustration set in. I have got a bit better with digiscoping but still end up with lots of pictures of birds tails!! So I then invested in a 20D and the 100-400 lens. Now I feel a bit like the expression "all mouth and no trousers" that is, I have all the kit but not much experience. Maybe trying to master both digiscoping and DSLR photography at the same time is too much?
But.....I am finding this forum and BirdForum an invaluable source of knowledge and am so grateful to all the experts who take the time and trouble to respond to questions. The only problem is that there is so much information that it takes time to find it all. At least one upside of the recent bad weather is that it has given me some time!!

Robin
Old 23-02-06, 16:43

I have had a camera for a number of years but only ever used it to take family photo's and the usual holiday snaps. Then I got interested in Bird watching and all forms of wildlife.I found trying to photograph birds on 35mm both nearly impossible and very expensive. Then along came digital cameras and it was, and still is a steep learning curve,but a whole new ball game. I still find it very hard to get a decent bird photo (mine are rubbish compared to those on this forum) but at least I am enjoying myself and not spending a fortune on film anymore.
Old 20-03-06, 05:17

My way into photography:
My mum holds a degree in photography and used to work at the Rspb in the negative archive. Since i was born (which was not that long ago compared to most of you(1986) there has always been a camera in the house. Its a 30+ year old olympus film camera, brilliant bit of kit. I would be taken off to airshows at a very young age and by the time i was about 7 i was borrowing the camera and taking photos with it. After years shooting in film i moved into digital with a 1.5 megapixel thing that didnt last me very long. I then upgraded to a Z2 which i still own and have recantly treated myself to a D50.
My interests wandered in my early teenage years away from aircraft and onto other things and i didnt take photos. Im glad to be back taking lots of photos now.
Old 21-03-06, 02:30

I guess my interest in photography was sparked by my father who used to regale my sister and me with stories of tiny, chemical-filled boot camp darkrooms and hastily developed black and whites. We were wide-eyed and impressionable, and dad took full advantage, instilling in us a sense of appreciation for art and creativity.

My sister now works for a well-known professional commercial photography studio in our town, and I continue to strive for image excellence. I have a little more difficulty than my sister does, only because I also balance a full time job and a family. Precious quality time with my Nikon is something I don't get nearly enough of!

I have yet to produce pictures of a caliber with which I'm satisfied, but I hope to pick up on my mistakes faster when I finally buy that DSLR I've been waiting (rather impatiently) for.
Old 07-04-06, 16:58

After a recent trip to Panama, I was hooked. I borrowed a camera for the trip but wish I had the RebelXT that I bought because of that trip. I photographed a Harpy Eagle not to mention a few other birds and a couple of crocs and capybara. The wildlife there is incredible. I'm now a lifer) Now if I could just figure out how to use this thing.