WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

NX Discussion, Hits ,Tips & Tricks

Old 01-03-07, 11:06

As Lello has joined the band of NX users but is finding it harder to understand than Photoshop I thought I should do this post.

I have found far more info in the Help file than the instruction book. Also well worth a look at Nikons Capture NX site. Link ...... http://www.capturenx.com/

I was going to post a simple start guide. A run through this thread suggests quite a bit of info but not in any sensible order for someone just picking up on this program. I will add some more info with screen grabs to make it simple, but with a four a day limit it will take time to cover everything.

To date I suggest this thread is read through in this sequence as there are lots of explanitory graphics.

INTERFACE
Post #23. NX Interface.

'D' LIGHT
Post #29 a graphic explanation of 'D' light which is in Base Adjustments. Refer to image 4 from post 23 for its location in the edit list.

For me the big buzz of NX is control points. You would be amazed at what you can do with these and they work on NEF's, Tiff's and Jpegs. Quite a number of posts here deal with this and I list them in a suggested order - least compex first. Play pics for this - I posted 2 play pics that are quite large in Post #27.

CONTROL POINTS
Post # 8
Post # 9 & 10
Post # 12
Post # 2 & 3

HISTOGRAM
Post # 35

BLACK/WHITE/NEUTRAL POINTS
Post # 14
Post # 28

BLACK & WHITE CONVERSION
Post # 15

Probably the biggest difference's I have found when compared with Photoshop is that you can step back at any time using the edit list without loosing anything else you have done. To turn an action on or off simply click the appropriate tick box. You can use the same to fine tune any previous edit action. The most I have had on the edit list is Base Adjustment, Levels & Curves, B/W/N Points and 54 control points all of which had immediate access for modification. I also find NX curves so much easier than Photoshop, as the action box is live alongside the image and any correction is in REAL TIME on the whole screen image as you move the curve.

Don

Edit - I forgot to add the Capture NX link

Last edited by Don Hoey; 01-03-07 at 11:20.
Old 01-03-07, 18:17

NX interface 5 graphic attatched.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Interface 5.jpg (118.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 09-03-07, 20:21

Default NX new starter play part 1

Having spend the afternoon doing these for Lello, I thought it worth posting here as well, as a starter for anyone new to NX.

Anyone giving this a go will need to save the image in post # 27 to their pc as that is the subject image.

The whole thing is split over 2 posts as a set of graphics that can be saved to your pc.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Control point 1.jpg (126.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Control point 2.jpg (111.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Control point 3.jpg (105.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Control point 4.jpg (92.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Control point 5.jpg (81.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 09-03-07, 20:22

Default NX new starter play part 2

The remaining graphics.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Control point 6.jpg (99.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Control point 7.jpg (101.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Control point 8.jpg (65.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Control point 9.jpg (90.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 30-04-07, 19:38

Here is a list of tips and tricks courtesy of Nikon...

http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/c...i=&p_topview=1
Old 01-05-07, 09:20

Top job Stephen. Downloaded all

Don
Old 03-05-07, 21:42

Nice one Stephen

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 28-11-07, 12:11
Chris

Hi guys just a marker to say I am joining the club. I have bought the D80 recently offered and have 30 day trial of NX 1.2 (I think 1.3 is for intel macs, I still have the steam-powered one).

So hope to get upto speed on Nikonography fast so I can get fair comparison with Canon + DPP then decide which kit to keep and which is more suitable for my son to start his digital career. (or me to terminate mine)

Any chance of your major posts like 51 being e-mailed Don, as flipping back to 1 image then back to thread, then altered version a bit frustrating?

The link in 55 doesn't work any more Stephen, but it may take me a few minutes to read the manual and help first
Old 28-11-07, 19:53

Chris,

I am currently doing a splurge for my nephew on basics and how to get to the various controls via the menu. Covering three different models, D50, D40 and D40X, Not sure which he will get yet so its quite a long job. Kind of explains my absence from the forum. As part of that I will be doing a set on NX which I will forward to you.

Never quite got the drift of DPP so I have not owned up to a number of images in the gallery ex Canon 350D as being processed in NX.

Cannot pm you as your box is full and I have lost your e-mail address.

Don

Last edited by Don Hoey; 28-11-07 at 19:55.
Old 28-11-07, 20:02

Chris,

Furstly I hope you enjoy your Nikon. The link in 55 does work on my system showing a number of pdf documents for various tips, well worth reading.

NX 1.3 is universal so should work on a pre-Intel Mac.