WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Macro Photography Technique

Macro Photography Technique Discussions on Macro Photography

Arum Lily after rain

Old 12-06-07, 20:22

Default Arum Lily after rain

Please take a look at the attached shots of an arum lily from my garden. I did assist the rain with a bit of mist spray but otherwise the shots are untouched. Feel free to comment on the images - your expertise will be much appreciated.

Cheers - Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arum-1.jpg (418.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Arum-2.jpg (403.2 KB, 32 views)
Old 12-06-07, 20:38

Ken, two very good images. I think maybe the whites are just losing detail but apart from that all seems well. You need to resize your images to less than 300kb

Best wishes, John
Old 13-06-07, 08:07

Ken,

I prefer the second picture, the tighter crop works better as I find the green backgrond a bit distracting. The textures are good, helped by the soft lighting. If anything, the diffused light is a little too diffused, this doesn't help to give a sense of depth to the picture. The point of focus is good and the exposure is well controlled.

I think a tighter crop to remove the background completely would help concentrate the attention on the real subject. From the angle you've taken this, it would lead to too much cropping off the bottom.

Nice image, would be helped by shooting from above a bit more and a tighter crop to concentrate the attention on the subject. This may also help get the yellow centre on the "thirds" line, which would help balance the composition a little better too.

Hope this helps,

Duncan.

Oh, and as John says, a resize to 1024x768 and jpeg compression to get the file size down (to <120kB) would help.
Old 13-06-07, 12:19

Thanks John & Duncan, your comments are very useful and appreciated. It's my first posting so I was not too sure about the image size - I will be aware in future and do as you suggest.

Ken