WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

Making a flat landscape interesting

Old 27-12-05, 00:01

Default Making a flat landscape interesting

Hi

These are 3 photos that illustrate a problem i have - On the one hand i'm trying to show what is a flat & open expanse of countryside, but the photo's come out as being of "just... nothing" and certainly not very interesting to look at

Any thoughts on dealing with this ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (98.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (66.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (86.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 27-12-05, 00:52

Having been through the fens and on the road from Kings Lynn to Spalding I have wondered the same thing.

You have to accept that sort of landscape so go with it. This is wide angle lens territory. You need to find something that you can have as prominent in the foreground. You also need a good sky. You will probably have to wait until you can put the two together.

Keep looking at pictures in the Lanscape Gallery for technique.

Look at this and forget the hills in the background. Imagine they don't exist. What you have is foreground that you can make dominate the flat landscape by shooting from low down. Add an interesting sky and you are there. You will probably need to log these good spots and revisit when there is the posibility of a good sky. ( watch weather forecasts ). If it snows tonight and tomorrow as forecast you are in with a good chance.

http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...hoto=255&cat=2

I will remember your thread and post links if I come across images that may give you ideas.

Don
Old 27-12-05, 01:16

So there I am looking in the gallery for another link image and you post The Horsey Windpump. Low angle, making the most of your subject. Well done.

Don
Old 27-12-05, 01:25

One of the reasons this forum can't help but be successful with contributions like this. Thanks Steve http://www.birdforum.net/images/smilies/thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Randles
I would start by applying the rule of thirds and only having the sky fill the top third of the photo, especially so as in the secong shot (grey sky). I would try to avoid including the road in the shot also.

One thing worth trying is to stand on a rock, post, wall etc so your shot can be taken at a slight angle downwards, this gives a slightly different perspective, and prob the most important thing is to have some sort of focal point in the shot, could be a barn or a church tower or something like that, something for the eye to follow into the picture.

And yes...lots and lots of practice...good luck..!!
Old 27-12-05, 21:14

i guess the wide spaces need a bit more thought than i'd anticipated ! ... but i'd never have thought of pointing the camera at a downward angle though.

As for the foreground thats why i left the road in - seems i have a bit to learn

Hey-ho plenty to think about now, thanks