WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

SLR Beginners Corner

Old 07-01-06, 12:05

Default SLR Beginners Corner

With the numbers of people just getting into long lens photography with the advent of affordable DSLR's, I thought a thread where things could be discussed in a non technical way would be helpful.

I have been through the beginners route with several people and understand the necessity for totally uncomplicated speak. Quite often in this situation people do not ask for fear of looking dim. For a new starter a Forum full of knowledgeable people could be a daunting place.

I will go away and dream up some basic info. Contributions welcome from other knowledeable members but remember please KEEP IT SIMPLE. Super tech talk will only confuse.

Don
Old 07-01-06, 12:39

As usual Don, a good idea!

Ken
Old 07-01-06, 13:28

Default Which Camera

I will start with this as it is one of the most asked questions.

When trying to decide on a camera the most important thing is setting a budget. It is very easy to get carried away when you look at all the toys available.

All the major camera brands have a different lens mount and lenses you buy today should be regarded as a long term investment. In time you will probably trade up your camera body, whereas your lenses will be with you for longer. With lenses you do generally get what you pay for. So a budget lens will not compete with a mid priced or top end lens. The question here is should you save up for a little longer in order to get a better quality lens that will keep you happy for years.

The best advice I can give is having set a budget look at web sites like Warehouse Express ( UK ) to see what you may be actually be able to get for that budget.

Draw up a shortlist of possibles then look at an unbiased review. Sites like DP Review are good with very thorough reviews. http://www.dpreview.com/

When it comes to the camera itself the only advice is to actually try and handle what you think you might buy first. Is it compfortable to hold - too large or a bit small. Look through the viewfinder - be happy with the view and the way information is displayed. Look at the body - how easy it is to press the control buttons and generally operate the controls. Also consider the range of accessories available - remote release, flash etc.

In the end the best camera is the one YOU LIKE and NOT what Joe Bloggs or a salesman says, so never get badgered into a particular buy. Remember a lot of camera users will, if asked the question, rate their kit the highest and what is right for them may not be right or affordable for you. By all means ask for user comments as it may help.

Don
Old 07-01-06, 17:29

Default Lenses - The digital crop and Apertures

I will post some info as graphics as it is easily saved to your PC. Open the image then right button click and go ' save as '

The first two graphics concern the digital crop effect of lenses whose focal length is described in 35mm terms. Also the term aperture or f stops.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lens focal length.JPG (90.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Lens aperture.JPG (83.4 KB, 28 views)
Old 07-01-06, 18:28

Default How aperture affects the zone of sharpness

This is a graphic to show how aperture affects the area in front of and behind the subject that appears to be sharp.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Depth of field.JPG (63.6 KB, 34 views)
Old 07-01-06, 20:26

Default The camera shutter

A brief explanation of the shutter and shutter speeds.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shutter 1 of 2.JPG (102.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Shutter 2 of 2.JPG (67.7 KB, 23 views)
Old 07-01-06, 21:32

Default ISO Rating

The last of the exposure controls.

In the next post I will link Aperture, Shutter speed and ISO

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ISO rating.JPG (86.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 07-01-06, 22:11

Thanks,Don.Can we ask simple questions etc eg as I did re using a converter in a previous thread.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 07-01-06, 23:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine
Thanks,Don.Can we ask simple questions etc eg as I did re using a converter in a previous thread.
The idea is that people can ask questions and hopfully get answers that are not too technical. I like many members can easily forget the things we found hard to understand when we started in the hobby. Blinding newbies with science does not help them to learn and enjoy photography.

Don
Old 08-01-06, 20:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine
Please do! I recall a BF member had as his/her sig file something along the lines of "There's no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer".

The first time you pick up a camera, it can be very daunting. No-one knows how to use all the settings if they've never gone through a learning process first. No-one is born with this knowledge, we all have to learn.

Duncan