WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > WPF Photo Competitions Forum

WPF Photo Competitions Forum All the details for the monthly WPF Photo Competitions

Competition Chat Thread

Old 10-03-14, 12:27

Default Competition Chat Thread

Thought I would start this off, as there isn't anywhere to talk about the fortnightly comps. Not sure if it will be 'used' but I understand a few people have been leaving the forum as they feel not much happens. I I would like there to be somewhere to chat about the competitions, however I think we also restricted here about what we can say.All the other forums I have ever belonged to, there has been a chat thread for the comp where you can say what worked or didn't, what you are planning (but not giving too much away), how you feel, questions you can ask etc.

Will see how this goes, might be a waste of time but lets give it a whirl. Start chatting....

I will go 1st - I have found that most of the images I have put on my website are as a result of the competitions, and because of the comps ,I get out at least 2 - 3 times a week with camera, when I normally wouldn't. I find them challenging and they often give me the chance to try new stuff, experiment and see things differently. What do you guys gain from the comps?
Old 10-03-14, 16:59

For me the comps are gush a bit of fun
I take pictures of what I like - if someone else likes them - that's a bonus
I believe photographs to be like any other art form and are a personal choice.
John
Old 11-03-14, 01:34

I also enjoy competitions as they challenge me to do things I might not otherwise do that week,I have been going through a real slump lately as far as photography goes but I am making the effort to enter every challenge that I can...

sometimes I put a bit of effort into them, sometimes it is a matter of just getting something done to make it in time before the challenge closes which doesn't make for a good photograph....

how is everyone else feeling these days about their photography? I am going on holiday for 2 weeks at the end of the month and when I get back I intend to get back to my photography again....

I also agree with John it should be fun, I enjoy seeing what other people come up with on the same theme, it helps me to get creative again and gives me ideas for other things in the future.

Trena
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. : Scott Adams
Old 11-03-14, 06:55

Yes, the comps are fun, but for me also a massive learning curve. I belong to 4 forums, this one with a weekly comp, 2 with a weekly comp and one with a monthly comp. I sometimes double up photos if the theme allows, I sometimes miss an entry if time lacks but mostly,I manage an entry each time. Keeps me busy and focused.
Old 11-03-14, 07:34

There is always a lot to learn DD, you can try anything you like with images, I just try out different colours and light. texture
I don’t know if my photographs are “Art”. I just love what I do*
Old 11-03-14, 18:12

If a particular theme grabs my imagination then I might enter, but as often as not I just enjoy looking at the entries.
Although I do sell prints and shoot commissions, most of my photography is very personal. I'm in the lucky situation of having a day job that means my photography doesnt have to make money, while still having time to get out and do it.
My chief photographic passion is landscape/natural world, as much as anything because I love being outdoors in the country, and going out with photography in mind makes me really look at what is there. So some of the more studio-orientated themes dont quite engage me as much as others...
Old 11-03-14, 23:35

Im wanting to experiment in macro. I received extension tubes for Christmas and need to put them to the test. Not just normal close-up's but arty shots. The kin Trena takes,I really admire her work. Go Trena!
Old 12-03-14, 04:02

thanks for your kind words, all I ever did/do was experiment with different objects colours lights and keep taking lots of photos,you can usually see in the screen if something looks like it is working...I buy bits and pieces from the $1 shop and keep a box with different textured cardboard,celeophane,anything colourful and interesting shapes...lots of fun.

Trena
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. : Scott Adams
Old 12-03-14, 06:42

I forgot to mention I have had a few sales with Getty images, just had a new sale for one of my abstracts last month, doesn't happen often enough but it is exciting when it does happen.

Trena
Old 12-03-14, 17:29

Well done trena on the sales. I have got a few local businesses who are going to display some of my images, so thats exciting. I have a £1 box too. haha