WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photography Books & Magazines

Photography Books & Magazines Read any? Can you recommend any? Dislike any? This is the place to let us know!

book list

Old 18-02-10, 19:02

Default book list

I have just started a photography course. the book list seems quite extensive, but some of the titles seem to be quite old. Being at the rate in which technolgy is moving will it matter that the books are 5 to 10 years old.

For example i have already got one of the books, (photos that sell) and although a great book, it talks mainly in film terms, talking about sending transparensies to mags, newspapers etc.
Old 19-02-10, 15:53

5-10 years old sounds rather old to me. Obviously things like lighting set-ups in a studio don't change (or the effect of say focal length on depth of field and such like) many of the technical aspects will have. Post shooting will have changed beyond recognition so I would be very wary of spending money on these books unless you know the exact content of each one and if they will meet a specific need. It would worry me a bit if a photographic course is so out of date on it's book list. Just a thought but maybe your local library could get some of the titles in for you so you can see if they are worth buying.
Old 19-02-10, 17:52

none of the books are about post processing.

they reguard such things as, posing for portraits, filters, lighting, marketing and landscapes.
Old 19-02-10, 21:55

Sounds OK then, I would still be inclined to get some from the library before purchase to see which ones you appear most useful and whose style of presentation you like.
Old 19-02-10, 22:51

will do, thanks for the advice...
Old 21-02-10, 14:21

'On Looking at Photographs' is a great one to have if you can get hold of it.

As a side note, I think your photography would improve more if you did a painting/watercolour course. Photography courses in my experience teach a lot of technical gobbledegook without telling you how to properly frame a shot, what is aesthetically sound, which is the sort of thing painters need to know. Composition is always the most important part of taking a photo, and you learn amazing things about composition in painting classes.
Old 21-02-10, 15:05

thats an intersting theory, and makes sence.
Old 21-02-10, 15:17

Just looking around, I have 'On Looking at Photographs' as a PDF...if you want to read it on the computer or on an e-reader, iPod touch whatever, PM me with your email so I can send it to you.
Old 22-02-10, 18:52

thank you, that will be great.
Old 10-05-10, 20:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfg1mp View Post
I have just started a photography course. the book list seems quite extensive, but some of the titles seem to be quite old. Being at the rate in which technolgy is moving will it matter that the books are 5 to 10 years old.

For example i have already got one of the books, (photos that sell) and although a great book, it talks mainly in film terms, talking about sending transparensies to mags, newspapers etc.
Hi, Have you just started on the Diploma in Professional Photography by any chance? I know that the book you mentioned is part of that course.

As you have said it's a good book but a little dated. The best thing to do is look at what reading material is suggested on your course and then research some titles to see if there are any similar, up-to-date titles on the market.

I run an online photography bookstore so if you want to let me have a list of books you are supposed to be reading I can check to see what titles have been updated or new titles written that are more in line with today's markets etc.

Not trying to sell you anything just helping out as I know just what it's like when you get a course or book only to find out it's so out of date it's next to useless.

Cheers
Alan