WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

studio lighting set up

Old 20-06-08, 10:32

Clive,
I'm sure the pics of your set up will be very helpful to Postie.

Your lights look interesting and would certainly be a lot better than my early tungsten lighting kit. That was a killer for heat hence my early move to flash. I've taken the liberty of finding a link to Interfits web site for these.
http://www.interfitphotographic.com/...l-lite%205.php

I guess the next question will revolve around backgrounds - materials, colours etc.

Don
Old 21-06-08, 08:01
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidders View Post
You're right Don - I do use continuous lights, and as they are daylight (ish) balanced fluorescent tubes - 5 per soft box giving 500w without the heat issue
Thanks to you both for all the useful info, that other thread is very helpfful, it's good to see the shots of your set up. It was interesting to hear that you had made the switch from flash to continuous light, have you noticed any obvious advantages of one over the other.
Old 24-06-08, 09:29

I do not know if Clive has used a flash set up in a studio for his views on comparison, so I'll chuck these comments into the ring.

The primary advantage of Continuous Light is that it is significantly cheaper than flash. Easy to work out light positioning, although decent studio flash units do have modelling lamps. Easy exposure calculation - meter direct off the subject. The downside of continuous light is lack of faster speeds to freeze motion. Serious light output from pro kit needed to get you there.

The only down side of flash that I can think of is the higher initial cost and the learning curve. Once you understand the basics of flash you may find you do not even use the modelling lights and setting up is just as easy as with continuous light. Either way set up is just the same.

The main advantage of flash is the ability to freeze motion. It is the short flash duration rather than shutter speed that helps here. So even if your camera has a slow sync speed the flash duration will exceed 1/500 sec. Studio units have faster recycling times than camera units and can withstand far heavier useage over a short period of time without overheating.

I hope this is of some help.

Don
Old 24-06-08, 10:01

Not wanting to sound sexist, but if you get into serious tungsten lighting then you can have Blondes and Redheads.

Technical name for certain types of light.

Don
Old 24-06-08, 16:59
Super Moderator

Thanks for all the advice Don... but I've decided to be guided by my wallet!

A friend bought a continuous light set up earlier in the year for a specific job but is no longer using it. He's been very upfront about it's limitations and the advantages that a flash set up would have. But he's willing to sell it on at a good price (including a background set up) so I figure it's a good way to dip my toe in the water. If I don't get on with it then I won't loose too much, if I do I can look to add a flash set up later on (when I'll hopefully be able to afford a better one).
Old 24-06-08, 19:34

Thumbs up

Excellent job, and I am sure you will have a lot of fun. Also well worth going back through Clives gallery for some portrait tips.

I am sure that I speak for others as well when I say we will be interested to know how you get on.

Don
Old 27-06-08, 14:09
Super Moderator

Now I'm having a re-think (could I be more indecisive) and am now swaying towards a flash set up... I've been reading a lot and it seems that while continuous light is fine for head and shoulder portraits it's not so good for groups. Having looked at the ones Don linked to I'm thinking I may go for an Elinchrome D-lite set up. Looking at the D-ilte 2 it has a faster recycle time but lower power than the D-lite 4, anyone got any opinions on which is better?
Old 27-06-08, 17:39

In lighting there is a saying " You can never have too much power ". So it really is down to what you can afford. The price difference of £100 between the D light 2 and 4 buys you one more available stop of light. If you are thinking of groups then that could be valuable from a dof point of view.

Specs wise both D lights are adjustable over a 5 stop range. Reclyle times are 0.7 secs. The lower powered D-Light 2 gives a 1/1200 sec flash duration and the D-Light 4 gives 1/800 sec duration.

Ignore flash duration as it is immaterial for what you are going to do.

So in the end if you can run to a D-Light 4 then thats the one to go for.

Link to Elinchrom web site
http://www.elinchrom.com/

Don
Old 08-07-08, 20:15
Super Moderator

Postcard, someone on Birdforum is selling a set-up you may be interested in.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=117946
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 11-07-08, 09:24
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
Postcard, someone on Birdforum is selling a set-up you may be interested in.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=117946
thanks for the info, but I'd just order a D-lite 4 kit from WHE... hopefully I'll be able to work out how to use it.