WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

Focal Length and Perspective

Old 23-04-06, 10:00

Morning all,

Brain has had time to refresh.

I guess that I only ever consider the change of focal length with a change in camera position. ie wide angle move closer, gives greater depth. Telephoto, move back as it compresses the scene and draws up the background.

So it is always a combination of 2 things. Camera position and focal length.

Surely if only focal length were considered then final image magnification should be taken into account as well. The crop from a 50mm lens image in comparison to that from a 150mm lens to give the same final output size, will show significant image degredation due to the increased magnification.

Don
Old 23-04-06, 10:17

Morning Don

Wheres that glorious sunshine gone ??

OK Don look at it from this point of view. You can achieve exactly the same perspective using any focal lenght providing you take the shot in the required position.

If you use a telephoto and move back far enough it will give the same effect as a wide angle. Likewise if you use a wide angle and move in close enough it will give the same effect as a telephoto.

The thing is that we don't normally use a lens it that way. Think about some of the photography in wildlife where they take you into the world of an insect or use small models of buildings instead of lifesize scenery in films.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 23-04-06 at 10:19.
Old 23-04-06, 10:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski
Morning Don

Wheres that glorious sunshine gone ??

OK Don look at it from this point of view. You can achieve exactly the same perspective using any focal lenght providing you take the shot in the required position.

If you use a telephoto and move back far enough it will give the same effect as a wide angle. Likewise if you use a wide angle and move in close enough it will give the same effect as a telephoto.

The thing is that we don't normally use a lens it that way. Think about some of the photography in wildlife where they take you into the world of an insect or use small models of buildings instead of lifesize scenery in films.
With you on that explanation Rob.

Weather .... well, dull and rain on the way.

Like John I spent yesterday gardening as it was a great day for that ....... somethings you just have to do.

I think that when we have managed to get some pics together it is worth posting the effect of changing your lens to obtain a particular effect. I think lots of people just use the zoom function to fill the frame, without considering how focal length choice can have a significant impact on the final image.

Stephen described it well in his post 5, but as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, and if you are new to photography this is not something that has necessary been considered.

Christines pics were a good example of the effect a telephoto can have on the background.

Just read John's post 25 ............ Mmmmmm

Don
Old 23-04-06, 17:38
Super Moderator

I have just run some tests with the 100-400 lens @ 100mm, 150mm, 200mm, 250mm. All were at the same F stop and speed. I can see how the background is affected by the changes in distance and focal length. I am still finding this very hard to take in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg perspective230406.jpg (109.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg perspective230406-002.jpg (103.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg perspective230406-003.jpg (121.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg perspective230406-004.jpg (104.2 KB, 7 views)
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 23-04-06, 17:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire
I can now see how the background is affected by the changes in distance and focal length.
It's only affected by the changes in the distance from the subject, not the focal length

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 23-04-06, 17:52
Super Moderator

Adey can I have a brain transplant it may work better.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,

Old 23-04-06, 18:12

Quote:
Adey can I have a brain transplant it may work better.
It's ever so easy, really! (honest, Guv!). Perspective is entirely governed by viewpoint, even without a lens! The different focal lengths just 'select' part of the scene in front of you and, provided you don't move, everything will be the same relative size to each other no matter which focal length you choose.

It's impossible for a lens to alter the relative sizes of objects at different distances in the frame - only by moving yourself, either backwards or forwards, can you achieve this.

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 23-04-06, 18:35
Super Moderator

I understand in a sort of way but I think I will stick to just taking photo's and if I like what I see in the viewfinder, I will take a picture and leave this side of things for people younger with fresh brains and who can understand.

Old 23-04-06, 18:42

Quote:
I understand in a sort of way but I think I will stick to just taking photo's and if I like what I see in the viewfinder, I will take a picture and leave this side of things for people younger with fresh brains and who can understand.
Well said Christine. I wish more people would think the same.

Duncan
Old 23-04-06, 18:48

Quote:
I can't argue with that - in post #16 of this thread I stated that you can check it with a zoom lens in two seconds yet I've still managed to let myself be dragged into the debate! I don't think I qualify for the 'younger' bit, though