WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

HP Image Zone

Old 03-04-07, 21:08

Default HP Image Zone

I have been trying to upload pixtures to this site since I joined including a recent world cruise, but all my pictures are too large to upload. I know as much about re-sizing as next doors cat?!.

I have two cameras, an HP and a Sony, the latter being the best of the two. The HP camera seems to take smaller pictures because I can upload them to a shipping sister site with no problem, but not the Sony. So for this reason, I take the same shot with both cameras knowing that one will upload to this other site without worrying about how to re-size. I like an easy life?!.

However, none of my HP pictures will upload to this site even though the format is exactly the same. A picture that uploads to SN is 2576x1952 1.31mb, but i can't upload same size on this site.

Tha brings me onto HP Image Zone. This came with my HP camera, and all my pictures go into the Image Zone even if stored elsewhere like My Pictures or a Folder etc. In the HP Image Zone I can re-size pictures to Current Size, Custom, E-mail and Web Blog. Current size and custom does not work staying far too large. But the other two reduces the picture. E-mail size is 633x480 and Web Blog 316x240. The latter brings the picture down to 236KB.

When I click onto the re-sized picture, only a small version comes up rather than filling the screen, but it does print out normal A4 size. Therefore, would this be good enough to upload?. The only downside when I re-size to Web Blog or E-mail size in the HP Image zone the picture goes slightly out of focus, and I need to adjust this. That seems quite easy, but could be slightly out.

I don't want to have to buy another programme to do this, and wondered if the HP Image Zone I have is adequate having re-sized to above Web Blog or E-mail sizes?. David

Last edited by Pompeyfan; 03-04-07 at 21:11.
Old 03-04-07, 22:12

I am not going to be a lot of help here. I do not know HP Image Zone and cannot find any tutorials.

If you open a pic in this prog do you have the option of ' Save As '. If you do then do you get any options like image compression. This should not be confused with image size.

Don
Old 03-04-07, 22:25
Super Moderator

Download the set of free programs by FastStone you can resize and re-sample the images to whatever you want and its free.

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

This a link to a thread where there is a little bit of information about it.
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...ead.php?t=1989
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 03-04-07, 22:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
Download the set of free programs by FastStone you can resize and re-sample the images to whatever you want and its free.

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

Christine,

You know me and I have just done that hoping it might be the solution here, but have not read the PDF tutorial yet.

Dave you will see the tutorial/instuction manual as a seperate download.

Don
Old 03-04-07, 22:58
Super Moderator

Don.
All the features are basic but do nearly as much as some of the bought software but the most useful part, which is not in any other I have tried including CS, is being able to have 4 images side by side so you can pick the ones you want to keep, it even reads all Raw formats.
You will find you will wonder how you ever managed without it. Let me know what you think.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 03-04-07, 23:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
......... which is not in any other I have tried including CS, is being able to have 4 images side by side so you can pick the ones you want to keep, it even reads all Raw formats.
You will find you will wonder how you ever managed without it. Let me know what you think.
Christine,

I did not bother before now as PSP7 & 8 you can have as many as screen and memory will allow, TIFF or JPEG and a much better magnifier function than CS or NX.

More to learn.

I will let you know how I get on though.

Don
Old 04-04-07, 08:15

Don

Yes, I do have a Save As option. This is what happens. If I want to edit a picture I have various sizes including resize. If I click resize I have 4 options to put a dot into i.e. Current Size, E-mail 633x480, Web/blog 316x240 and Custom. The first two keeps the picture too large. If I click any of the middle two I then click Accept. But before I do that I can go into Advance to change various things like Restore Clour Adjust Image Colour Tool Kit B&W Tool Kit Special Effects. If I click Adjust Image, 5 boxes come up Exposure, Adaptive Lighting, Brightness, Contrast and Sharpness. I only need these really. This is because when I click Accept, the picture goes very slightly our of focus. When I am happy with the exposure, I then click Save As. Then, when I go back into My Pictures for example, and click onto this saved picture, it comes up small on the screen instead of filling the screen, and will be something like 236kb instead of 1.09mb. But although looking smaller on screen, it prints out the same size as normal.

I hope this information helps sort it out. The only thing I could do is post one of the pictures I have resized this way and see how it looks on the site?. David

Last edited by Pompeyfan; 04-04-07 at 08:17.
Old 04-04-07, 10:37

Pompeyfan, you really need to get some decent software. I'm not familiar with Saphire's suggestion but it is doubtless a good one. Irfanview is free and very good. Picassa is also free and has its fans, and the peerless PMView is free to try and cheap to buy. (http://pmview.com ) There are lots of others, many of them excellent.

I've never used HP Image Zone but from what you have written about it, it sounds like a classic piece of junk. Would you use a 1MP camera with no exposure controls and fixed focus? Why inflict equally primitive software on yourself?

Seriously, do yourself a favour and get some decent software. You will not regret it.
Old 04-04-07, 19:54

Having had problems with downloads, and going to town this morning. I have bought Photo Explosion Deluxe, the new version 3. The User Manual is 396 pages. So knowing little about computers let alone resizing, it will be a miracle if I learn how to do it. In the meantime, does any member know this software, or is it another piece of junk?!. David
Old 04-04-07, 20:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompeyfan View Post
Having had problems with downloads, and going to town this morning. I have bought Photo Explosion Deluxe, the new version 3. The User Manual is 396 pages. So knowing little about computers let alone resizing, it will be a miracle if I learn how to do it. In the meantime, does any member know this software, or is it another piece of junk?!. David
Never heard of it David but I will do a web search for info. It must be able to do something though if the instructions run to 396 pages.

From your previous post HP Image Zone seems to be a seriously limited program.

Don