WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Nikon Capture NX v1.1

Old 05-03-07, 16:48

Default Nikon Capture NX v1.1

Hi all

I've been trying out the latest version of Nikon Capture NX v1.1 for the last few days, I'm sort of impressed, I think! Before I installed this software I thought I'd test how long it took the previous version (v1.01) to render a RAW NEF file from my D200, the average result was a snail paced 1 minute 20 secs? I then uninstalled version 1.01, re-booted the computer and did a clean install of new version 1.1. Similar tests rendering the same RAW NEF files were very encouraging, average times were 15 to 20 seconds. Density of the photo seemed to make a slight difference, but not enough to slow down your workflow. Conclusion, Nikon Capture NX v1.1 is now a very useable piece of software and recommended for Nikon NEF file users.

nirofo.
Old 05-03-07, 20:44

Nirofo,

I am on V 1.01 and having read your comment on 1 min 20 secs, which I found a bit of a shock. I have just done some timings on quite a few from the D2X. I use compressed NEF and they all rendered within 10 secs.

Don
Old 06-03-07, 01:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
Nirofo,

I am on V 1.01 and having read your comment on 1 min 20 secs, which I found a bit of a shock. I have just done some timings on quite a few from the D2X. I use compressed NEF and they all rendered within 10 secs.

Don

It could be that it depends to a certain extent on how much software you have on your computer, I'm afraid mine is choc a bloc with stuff, (I really must have a clean out sometime). However, reading other posts on various Nikon and photographic forums it seems that you are rendering NEF's extremely fast, are you sure they are full RAW NEF files you are rendering, you state compressed NEF ?

nirofo.
Old 06-03-07, 10:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
However, reading other posts on various Nikon and photographic forums it seems that you are rendering NEF's extremely fast, are you sure they are full RAW NEF files you are rendering, you state compressed NEF ?

nirofo.
I use compressed NEF which gives a file size of around 10mb. The uncompressed version is around 20mb and that may account for the difference.

I think Foxy did a comparison between the two and suggested detail in whites was marginally superior on uncompressed. Therefore better for weddings.

Foxy generally used compressed NEF and we have done a series of speed tests over a range of pp processes using the same NEF, and now he has upped his ram the timings are fairly similar.

I deleted all my test notes bar one I have found. This relates to redraw when using the magnifier. Before his ram uprade Foxy found image redraw quite slow. This is my note back to him " I just had a go with hand grabber at 100% less than 1 sec and that is on a move from one side to other side of the screen, even using the birds eye square to move diagonally between corners I cannot count to 2 so I'll call that 1 sec. Redraw using the magnifier on ' birds eye ' from 2% - 600% around 6 secs. "

I am not a computer boffin. This is my system spec as I know it will make sense to you.
Processor Intel Pentium 4 650 ( 3.4 GHz, 2M, 800 )
Memory A Data 2 GB DDR II ( 400MHz )
Hard Drive Maxdor 300GB ( 7200 rpm SATA )
Graphics ATI Radeon x700 256MB ( PCI-E )
Motherboard Elite Group PCI x 3 PCI-E16 x1

Don
Old 06-03-07, 12:01

Nirofo,

I could probably find the other timings but after a major search I cannot locate the folder that e-mails are archived in. I do not use auto archive but the machine has obviously decided to do it for me anyway on the quiet.

Operating system Windows XP Professional.

Don
Old 28-03-07, 22:43

Nirofo,

Excuse me for ever doubting the speed benefits of v1.1.

I have been having a problem with my edit list tonight. The panel had shrunk so only 4 edits visible. Nothing would expand the box so I did the upgrade to solve the problem. Rendering time not any different, but once past that and WOW - major speed improvement.

Don
Old 29-03-07, 19:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
Nirofo,

Excuse me for ever doubting the speed benefits of v1.1.

I have been having a problem with my edit list tonight. The panel had shrunk so only 4 edits visible. Nothing would expand the box so I did the upgrade to solve the problem. Rendering time not any different, but once past that and WOW - major speed improvement.

Don
V1.1 is an improvement on 1.01 in terms of speed. I estimate approx 25% faster - NX just gets better.

Its now possible to use D2X RAW on a budget laptop.