WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

canon 5d mark 2 and 580 flash

Old 06-03-10, 20:12

Default canon 5d mark 2 and 580 flash

HI there Guys,

i have been using a combination of 5d and 580 ex on auto for 3 years with pretty much perfect results. Last year i changed to a 5d mark 2, went out last xmas to do a nativity and what a disaster i had not checked that the 5d2 and 580 worked together i just made the assumption that when paying loads os money they would work together.

They would not work together, later that day tel canon whos knowledge is limited to be kind said they "might" not be compatible. I also told hiim that i had a tamron vr lens and he said that, that the lens was probably causing the problem.

It seemed to be all probablies and maybies with no this is the problem.

Help please does anyone know the answer please

NIK
Old 07-03-10, 10:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikthegeek View Post
They would not work together, later that day tel canon whos knowledge is limited to be kind said they "might" not be compatible. I also told hiim that i had a tamron vr lens and he said that, that the lens was probably causing the problem.

It seemed to be all probablies and maybies with no this is the problem.

Help please does anyone know the answer please

NIK
Sounds like finger pointing at anything that doesn't have the Canon badge on it. I have no direct knowledge, but I'd be very, very surprised if the use of a Tamron lens was the cause of your body and flash not working together.

Can you get the flash to work in manual (flash) mode?

A solution could be to borrow a Canon branded lens from someone, fit it and see if you get the same problems.

Any other members near Swansea that could help Nik out here? You could always pop into a local shop.
Old 07-03-10, 10:39

the flash works on manual but not on auto.

it also works on auto on the other camera the 5d1

its works on the 5d1 with the tamron lens.

I don't know if the new 5d2 can take the 580

which sounds stupid.

I will take your advice and use a canon lens on both

thanks nik
Old 07-03-10, 17:01
Super Moderator

While I doubt that it is a lens issue, third party lenses can caused odd problems so it would be worth trying with a Canon lens if possible. I take it you're using an original 580 EX rather than the mkII? If so I wonder if there might be a firmware update for it that will help it work properly on your newer body?
Old 07-03-10, 19:06

Very doubtful that this is a lens issue. I would suggest operator error.

Unlike the 5D the 5D mk11 has a very sophisticated flash system which requires setting up in menu. Check your manual, 103 page onwards.
Old 07-03-10, 21:05

My very modern 7D works fine with an old 550 EX flash (predecessor to the 580) with both Canon and none Canon lenses so I would have expected the 5Dii to work with the 580. Either user error or something wrong with the 5Dii would be my guess but it is only a guess.
Old 14-11-14, 12:48

Thank you for sharing to us. there are many person searching about that now they will find enough resources by your post. I would like to join your forum anyway so please continue sharing with us